surprise jacket

sam00September 10, 2009

I was wondering if anyone knows of a baby jacket similar to the surprise jacket.I live in Australia and it is gong to cost to much to order the pattern from America. Ive tried all the libraries and book shops here with no luck.. Any help would be great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

The pattern is in two of Elizabeth Zimmerman's books. Did you check to see if they carry any of her books?

There are some other patterns, and I think profsusan found one and listed it on this site. It is not as attractive as the BSJ.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 7:04PM
socks

Lion Brand has a free pattern for a sweater knit all in one piece. There are 2 versions, one is called Seven Seas Baby set and the other is Bubblegum set. You would not have to do the stripes, could do all in one color which is how I made it. It's all in one piece except for sewing up the side seams. No collar.

I don't know if this is similar to the EZ sweater or not, but it is all in one piece.

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 8:12PM
justlinda

If you are looking for crochet pattern, you may want to check out the pattern in this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hexagon Sweater ~ Crochet

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 9:21PM
socks

Linda, isn't that a cute one! Have you made it from that pattern, and is it tricky at all? Is it all in one piece, except the collar?

Thanks.

Susan

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 1:32PM
justlinda

I haven't tried it myself ~ yet! It's on my "to do" list though. I was looking at it and thinking perhaps once you've figured out how it goes together, one could make an adult sweater the same way.

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 6:33PM
Dash2

I've made a number of the hexagon sweater. Unfortunately, I've never taken the time to get a picture. It's extremely fast to work up, and extremely easy.

It's made in two pieces. It's a single seam up the back to put together. I've made it with the granny stitch. There's also a version that is all double crochet, no holes.

Each one I've made was used as a last minute gift and they were very well received. My personal preferance is to knit the borders, collar and button bands. But no mater how you approach it, it is a winner.

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 10:31PM
jane2

Sam00;

E-mail janeyknitting@yahoo.ca about the surprise jacket pattern. (That is, off-list.)

Jane2 here (Janey elsewhere)

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 12:51PM
profsusan

I have made both the hexagon without holes and the one done in the granny square mode. Here are links within this site to my photos
No Hole Hexagon
Granny Type
Both work up fast and there are so many combinations you could try.

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 3:56PM
jane2

Sam00;

What I was trying to say - without coming out and actually writing it - was that my LYS has a copy of the baby surprise jacket as a separate pattern.
Cost is $10 I think. And the postage would be about $2.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 10:05PM
zarazane

Sam00

Can you please email me, I live in
Aust also. Address is on My Page.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 1:03AM
empress

sam00,

The Baby Surprise Jacket is available in The Opinionated Knitter and Knitting Workshop, both by Elizabeth Zimmerman, apparently also in a couple of back issues of KnitterÂs magazine (I don't know which ones, and from Schoolhouse Press in a 12 pg booklet with the pattern in adult, baby, and child sizes for $10.

http://www.schoolhousepress.com/patterns.htm

In the Spring/Summer 2007 issue of Vogue Knitting International, EZ's daughter, Meg Swanson shares EZ's Surplice Baby Jacket, which appears to use the same basic construction as the BSJ, but crosses over in the front instead of buttoning down the center.

I hope you find a copy of the pattern soon. It looks like a fun project.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™