How to make a cardigan out of a regular sweater

barb_roselover_inSeptember 25, 2013

I have a couple of sweaters that I would like to make into cardigans. Can I do that and where do I get the directions.? Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

I don't know of any directions to do such a thing. If I understand correctly, you want to make a pullover sweater into one that is open at the front (maybe with buttons, maybe not). I believe it can be done, but I'm not sure you would be satisfied with the results. If it is a sweater you made and still have leftover yarn, the results might be passable. But if it is a purchased sweater, chances are that you will never be able to match the yarn and would end up coordinating with some other yarn instead.

I think that you would first have to make a line of stitching with a sewing machine just to either side of the center front (I would suggest placing tissue paper at least underneath the sweater and possibly over the top as well). After stitching, cut right down the center of the sweater, then pull off the tissue paper. You could then pick up stitches along one of the front sections you just made and knit an edging. I would think you should make it twice the width you want, because in order to achieve a finished look, you will need to fold it to the back and hand stitch it down over the cut edge. Do the same for the other front side. Of course, if you want buttons, you will need to knit buttonholes in the appropriate places.

Unless your sweater is made with one of the thinner yarns, I don't think you'll be pleased with the results.

There may be other ways to do this, but I don't know of any. I hope someone smarter than I will answer this question for you. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Lined Mittens
I am knitting my first pair of mittens. Have not knitted...
colorcrazy
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Have you done this?
I knitted a sweater. It was with a yarn that was the...
barb_roselover_in
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™