Untwist Machine for Two Skeins

nancedarSeptember 4, 2011

A thousand years ago I recall a "handmade" wooden thing at a yarn shop that when you put two balls of yarn on it, one on each revolving peg, that, when you knitted the two yarns together on a needle or hook, it kept them separate and independently not twisted by rolling them around a center dowel that was askew from the bottom wooden platform. Some physics principal was involved, I'm sure, but not included in the $25 price tag in 1960-something, which I could ill afford at the time. Now, I am in great need of such a device, since I am making 11 afghans with double strands of yarn, one for each of my grandchildren. About 20 stitches in I have to unravel the twists (because of the way I knit continental/crochet and each stitch that twists them). Did I just dream of such a thing?

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acraftylady

When I use 2 colors in crochet I use yarn containers. Got them in store at Joanne's with 50% coupons so not that expensive. Lid screws off and there is a hole in the top for the yarn end. Could probably make something also. Comes in large and a small size and I love mine and have several of them for projects. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Yarn container

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 8:19PM
ntt_hou

Mary, I saw those yarn container sold on eBay. They look like tea/water containers but without the spout. I saw them sold at Walmart. Last week, I went to Walmart and they were on clearance for $2.50 each. The containers were made of plastic.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 12:18AM
jojosmom417

Nancy, I purchased a device a few months ago from Wendie's Crafts on ebay. Mine holds two skeins of yarn and they unwind from the outside as you crochet. I just checked by typing in "yarn unwinder" and the first item brought up was the one I bought. It sells for $18 for the double one. The skeins are loaded onto two dowels and the frame is made out of plastic pipe (lightweight). Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
looking for Annies Attic Dainty Dress Up Pattern
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get...
nursemom
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™