Mini split effic

joe_mnMay 8, 2012

I think a mini split sys is just another option for installing a/c in a house with poor access or perhaps hot water heat? Ok that's install issues and not efficiency issues as a main pont. Would a MS unit be more efficient than an typical thru the wall unit of perhaps 8-10k btu's? I think the wall unit is 500$ while a MS could be $1500? Why would you want to put in a MS when you could use a wall unit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Efficiency figures can be gleaned from manufacturer web sites.

Mini splits are a number of ways to install AC and heat pumps, not one way. You are probably thinking of the high wall models alone.

Apart from higher efficiency, noise is one large factor.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:16PM
brickeyee

"Why would you want to put in a MS when you could use a wall unit?"

The through the wall units are almost exactly the same (and in many cases are exactly the same) as a window unit.

They are still far from quiet, and take up half a window.

Mini-slpits tend to not be as loud, but are still worse than central.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 4:05PM
joe_mn

I have heard MS are quiet. Friends central air died. Bad compressor. Old system. He could install window unit for localized relief but new system is in the works. $$ though.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 5:44PM
pkguy

Had a Mitsubishi mini-split installed 2 summers ago. It is quieter running inside than most peoples central a/c.
The outside unit is virtually silent, unless you see the fan turning you would not know it is running even when the compressor is going.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 11:29PM
joe_mn

Saw an ad for MS. Said it was 22seer? Was warm this spring. Have seen folks running a/c already.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 7:39AM
lzerarc

a lot of super insulated homes are moving to MS instead of full ducted distrubution systems. With super tight and insulated homes, your loads are much lower and air distribution issues along with cold spots are reduced.
MS are a great, quiet, and super efficient way to cool and heat your rooms as long as you do not mind the wall mounted unit. However there are some casette ceiling units available, along with short ducted units to cover a few rooms. Your efficiency rating is reduced due to duct loss though.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 4:39PM
stoveguyy

I THINK infloor hot water heat would be nice in MN. But I want a/c too. If ur house has central air and it dies, putting in a MS unit is sketchy. It makes sense to replace the central air unit. Usually.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 10:04AM
ionized_gw

It could be 22 SEER. Duct losses would make it stand even taller compared to ducted systems.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Advice on HVAC & Insulation issues
I have a few questions that I would love to have input...
cinamn808
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™