wool rag rug

callagainSeptember 28, 2006

Hi,

I am wanting to crochet a rug of wool strips and I need some advise! I am collecting long 100% wool skirts for this project and am uncertain as to whether I should cut them on the bias, sew together and press raw edges under (UGH)as I don't want it to "raggy" looking, or would I be better off washing & drying thus fulling the wool which I am assuming wouldn't ravel so much and then cut with the grain BUT would probably make it more difficult to crochet as there would be no give to the strips. Also, cannot quite decide on a width - I guess that depends on the first part of my question.

I am totally winging this project as I have not ben able to find any complete instructions for crocheted WOOL rag rugs, so any advise would be much appreciated!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scrappyjack

I just finished a knitted rag rug using cotton strips 1" wide on #13 needles and it turned out pretty darn good. I also snuck in a few strips (again 1") of heavier fabric almost but not quite a denim weight kinda like a heavy linen. It was rougher going and didn't "boing" as nice as the cotton fabric.
I would think a 1" wool strip would be nice for you to try also, of course if you do decide to sew the raw edges (UGH) , I'd cut it 2" to result in a 1" strip. Honestly, I think I'd felt (full?) the wool first, then cut it into 1" strips.

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 7:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scrappyjack

A great reading book with some advice on making rugs as well as felting is Mason-Dixon knitting. A great source of inspiration, and a very fun read!

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™