Embroidering flowers on sweater

jxbrownSeptember 11, 2012

I've just about finished a sweater for a baby of unknown gender. It's blue and I would like to embroider some flowers if appropriate! The only websites I've found have been "lazy daisy" flowers which I did learn in the Brownies, but I'd like something a touch more sophisticated. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

I know I posted an answer for you this afternoon, but it seems to have disappeared. The only other stitch I can think of to use for the flowers would be the satin stitch, but it also takes a bit of the stretch out of a knit fabric. It would work best if the flowers are very small. How about the lazy daisy stitch with a little bit of satin stitch to fill it in? I would do the satin stitch first, then a lazy daisy stitch to surround the satin stitch. This would also serve to cover up any uneven satin stitches. Just a thought.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:02AM
centralcacyclist

There are some pretty ideas here: http://pinterest.com/deedeeraelow/stitching-1-2-3/

And here:
http://pinterest.com/trixielou33/embroidery/

Here is a link that might be useful: Ribbon embroidery flowers.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:55PM
donna_loomis

Barnmom, those are beautiful. I'm especially impressed by the irises!

I just looked at the original post though, and see that she is talking about making something for a baby whose sex is not known. I think I would steer clear of flowers. I can't imagine putting flowers of any kind on something that might be worn by a boy.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 1:13PM
centralcacyclist

I suppose it depends on the flower. Aloha shirts are covered in flowers and men wear them. :)

Maybe a edging of feather stitch would dress it up and not be gender specific but make it unique.

Eileen

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 1:40PM
jxbrown

I'm planning on embroidering the sweater if it's a girl. A boy will get a plain blue. It seemed like the best solution and I already had some pretty blue yarn! Those silk ribbon flowers are awesome.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™