Easy Crochet Afghan Ideas?

moonwolf_gwSeptember 1, 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a jump start on Christmas this year and I'm going to make an afghan for one of my friends as a present.

His favorite colors are red and black. I was thinking of making the afghan red and adding a black border and/or fringe. I bought four skeins of RH yesterday at Wal-Mart (two burgundy and two black).

My only problem is finding a pattern to make the afghan. I haven't decided to make one piece (i.e. a ripple or crocheting rows) or something like a granny square. I've been looking at the patterns on Crochet Pattern Central and in my pattern books. So many to choose from! I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dash2

You're already familiar with Crochet Pattern Central, so this will be easy to find. Check out the Lumberjack Flannel Afghan at CPC.

You will be taken to Crochetville, where you will get the directions and lots of pictures of differenct color combinations.

I love this afghan for warmth, ease of execution and wow factor. Black and red will be a perfect choice for color choice. Definately a manly choice.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 1:56PM
calicokitty

I agree with yarnlover's choice. Look at how nice this one turned out in red and black.

Here is a link that might be useful: afghan

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 10:07PM
tami_ohio

Brad, I don't have any suggestions for you, but I was thinking about you the other day. Did you ever finish Ursala?

Tami

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 10:56PM
moonwolf_gw

Thanks for the link. I'll consider it as an idea for now.
Tami, no I never got around to making Ursula. I've been too busy gardening and doing trades. However, she's on my project list. I love the idea and I might try to put something together here. You know, what colors to use, how to make the tentacles, do I want them to move like in the musical, that sort of thing. I'll let you all know what I decide.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 10:44PM
acraftylady

I am going the granny stripe blanket in purple and black for my son and it's very easy. Since I am only doing 2 rows of each color I don't finish off to change colors and a border will cover that up so no ends to weave in. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: granny stripe blanket

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 12:54PM
moonwolf_gw

Mary, I really like that pattern! Thanks for the link!

How do you change colors without finshing off? I love crocheting granny squares in different colors but weaving in the ends really takes up time.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 10:15PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I like the afghan in the basket weave crochet pattern on lionbrand.com's free patterns site. The last I looked there, it was pictured in a dark green, and you could not see the texture. It is a handsome pattern, all double crochet and very warm. I add a border of single crochet in main color, half double crochet or half double crochet and then a chain 1 for the 2nd row of the border in a contrasting color and then the main color for one or two rows of single crochet.

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
Sponsored Products
Teak Stacking Chair
Signature Hardware
Turbo Silence Pedestal Fan
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
Bistro Dining Chair in Blue - Set of 2
$269.99 | Dot & Bo
Convenience Concepts Designs2Go Espresso Trestle Desk - 090107ES
$174.99 | Hayneedle
Sweet JoJo Designs Full Length Double Zippered Body Pillow Cover
Overstock.com
WallsNeedLove Springtime Flowers Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP9-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Savannah King Dust Skirt
$254.00 | Horchow
SomerTile Hextile Glossy Blanco Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile (Pack of 14)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™