Central AC had power surge, compressor stopped?

PennstategalMay 20, 2011

I had a power surge, my power in my house and my neighbors flickered. Central ac was on, it went off quickly, then on again making a louder than usual humming noise on the outside part, not the handler.

I shut down the central ac after about 5-10 min, waited 10 min, then turned it on again, the handler was blowing air, the fan outside was turning, but the compressor (black cylinder thing) was not on. A neighbor came over,

checked the house fuse box,

another fuse box outside the house with a flip up door?

All was well, he opened the case outside, the compressor was hot like an oven, to the touch. He used an electical meter? and said the compressor was getting power.

He tapped on the compressor, it started. Now it's working, after just hitting it? What could this be?

3 Ton Rheem, live in South FL, unit only 3 yrs old

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

Sounds like it stalled. Sometimes called 'rotor lock'. Let's let others comment about this.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 1:57PM
fsq4cw

May I suggest that you consider having an electrician install at your main electrical panel/entrance a 'whole house surge and lightning protection' box to protect everything connected to your panel from such events? You may also have in addition to your HP & fan coil other sensitive electronically controlled 220V equipment such as clothes dryers, stoves, pool equipment etc. that would benefit from such protection.

SR

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 1:13AM
brickeyee

"May I suggest that you consider having an electrician install at your main electrical panel/entrance a 'whole house surge and lightning protection' box to protect everything connected to your panel from such events? "

A surge protection system wil not do anything to protect against quick stops and starts that can lead to locking up of hermetic compressors.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 2:19PM
planewood

A lot of compressors have a thermal switch inside the compressor that shuts it down when it gets to hot. Compressor has to cool off before it will come back on. When he tapped on the compressor it might have been about ready to switch back on. My Carrier units both have thermal switches.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 10:07AM
maryland_irisman

I think planewood hit the nail on the head. The compressor was cooling down to the point where the internal thermal overload was just about ready to come on anyhow. It is a device to help save the compressor from damage if it were to overheat. Unless it becomes a problem (which I doubt it will) you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Tampa area, advice on AC replacement
Hello, bought a house with a 31 year old Trane Heat...
bitsie1
What's your average gas heating bill in Winter?
I just bought a house in Richmond, VA. Just called...
GoBuild
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
advice about replacing furnace
I have a 1000 square foot rental house with a 40 year...
Ann Weaver
Maytag/Nordyne/Nortek HVAC
Wanted to share my HVAC experience. Hopefully save...
bgfuller
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Wall Mounted Lighting: Hampton Bay Electrical Outlet Plates Mission
$59.97 | Home Depot
Crystorama 7520-DT Shelby Chandelier - 48W in. - Distressed Twilight - 7520-DT
Hayneedle
Porcelina Crossbar Three-Light Dark Bronze 3000 Lumen LED Semi-Flush Mount With
$868.00 | Bellacor
Radionic Hi Tech Inc. High Power Factor Ballast for 2 F30T10, F30T12, F34T12 or
$42.99 | Home Depot
Red Travel Garment Steamer
$19.99 | zulily
Spring Air Back Supporter Four Seasons Box Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set
Hayneedle
Capri Pellisima Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
Underwater LED Light - 9 Watt
Super Bright LEDs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™