interpreting skein label symbols????

sheilajoyce_gwSeptember 23, 2006

I am making a darling cardigan for our expected grandson. My sister found the cutest yarn and pattern, and it is much more than I usually pay for yarn and is fancy with little fluffs of fiber, so I want to tell DD how to launder it. But I am not sure of the symbols. It is Italian made for Tahki Stacy Charles in NYC; cotton, polyamid, and acrylic fibers; and called Pom Pom. Sooooo cute.

Here are the symbols--30 degrees I understand as cold water. A triangle with an X through it??? I see the iron symbol, so it is ironable. A circle with a P in it. A square with a circle in it and an X through it--is that supposed to be a washing machine so hand wash only? And a square with a horizontal dash in the middle of it.

After spending a generous amount on the sweater and because it is soooo darling, I do not want it ruined the first time she launders it. Usually I use acrylic since we live in warm climates and since family allergies mean I avoid wool and anmimal hairs. I know she cannot just throw it in the washer and dryer, as I usually indicate, but I need to explain the care procedures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Sheila Joyce, those symbols can be VERY confusing, can't they? I found a website that has helped me tremendously. The circle with the P means dry clean only. The square with the circle and X means do not dry clean.

Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: symbols

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 4:35PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Thank you, Donna. No bleach, no machine wash, cool water, flat dry, dry clean with only one particular cleaning fluid.

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 2:56PM
craftfetish

Okay, I'm really nosy so I googled your yarn. It is super cute - your new grandson is going to look adorable.

If I am making something for someone that isn't machine washable and dryable (so, most knitted things), I like to actually make the ball band into a tag and wrap it around the item with a ribbon.

Makes me feel like I am officially off the hook for conveying care instructions (although in this case, I'd tell her the translation as well)

Congratulations on your new grandbaby, by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: in case anyone else is nosy

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 10:05AM
sheilajoyce_gw

I love it too. They had a sample sweater in the shop, and the pattern book too. I am using two colors of pom pom--blue and yellow -- and white that's plain. It is a summer/spring weight sweater.

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
sesame Street Patterns
I have some charts of the characters. I saw some people...
clare1501
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Chandelier 5-Light
PLFixtures
Quoizel Ventura 23" Wide Palladian Bronze Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Norm 03 Steel Pendant Light
ModernistLighting.com
Viviana Suspension by ELK Lighting
$950.00 | Lumens
Rich Brilliant Willing | Delta IV Pendant
YLighting