New A/C for Houston area 2.5 ton

paul97May 14, 2009

We have a 2600 sq ft home in houston. The A/C and furnace are 15 years old. We have two units in the home, down stairs outside unit was relaced before we moved in. The upstairs unit leaks freon and needs a charage every spring. This year it seens to run all the time even with the new charge.

I cleaned outside coils and inside evap. coils and changed out the thermostat to a honeywell 8000. Also may return filter is only 12"x36", not sure if this is large enough for our unit?

It is a Trane XE1000 TTR030C100A2, is this unit a 2.5 ton?

Also what should I expect to pay for a new unit, and should we replace the furnace also?

Also, the down stairs unit does leak a small amount of freon as well which I am thinking from the upstaris coils.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
udarrell_2007

"This year (upstairs unit) it seems to run all the time even with the new charge."

Many things could be wrong; check structure- insulation, air infiltration, etc. Also, duct system sizing & airflow through diffusers'.

Return filter, 12x36 is 432-sq ins; 1-sq in of filter area per 2-CFM of airflow. 2.5-ton 1000-CFM is 500-sq ins of filter area.

30C indicates a 2.5-Ton. I do not talk about what pricing ought to be. - udarrell

Here is a link that might be useful: Sizing & other A/C Factors

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul97

The insulation is very good, I even added more last year. Keep air filters clean, just cleaned both inside and outside coils and resealed. Checked for leaking duct work and installed Honeywell 8000 thermostat. I am going to install another return filter with new duct to the rear of the handler. The filter is almost sucked thru when the air kicks on. I have three companies coming between today and tomorrow for bids. Hopefully they will connect there gages to the unit.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
advice about replacing furnace
I have a 1000 square foot rental house with a 40 year...
Ann Weaver
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Plush Black Leatherette Ottoman
Euro Style Lighting
15745CO Copper 6.9 in Kichler 3 LED Hardscape Light with Bracket
EnvironmentalLights.com
Crystal Bathroom Vessel Sink
Overstock.com
WAC Square 2" White Housing Trim LED Recessed Downlight
Euro Style Lighting