HELP!! I just can't do it.

gracie01September 28, 2008

I have a shawl pattern with homespun yarn & a size J crochet hook. I need to chain 139 first. I've twice ripped out my work because the chains "disappear" to my eye. Should I try a larger hook? I'm trying to chain loosely, but I still can't seem to "find" the stitches.

p.s. this is my first attempt with homespun yarn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I can understatand this, and I'm sure others here will be more helpful than I--but are you saying you are having trouble getting the chain done, or is it difficult to work the second row into those chains?

I don't think a larger hook would help.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 12:22PM
proudmary56

It is the yarn.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 2:51PM
socks

Well it is the yarn, but how can Gracie get through this difficult start? I was wondering if you could make your starting chain with the homespun and a second thinner yarn of contrasting color and then clip it out later. Just a thought--I've never tried it.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 3:00PM
donna_loomis

While you could do as socks suggested, I expect you will have the same trouble all through your piece. Crocheting with homespun is a chore. At least in knitting, you can see all your stitches on the needle. You might try crocheting the entire piece with another yarn or thread held together with the homespun.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 5:22PM
gracie01

Thanks all, you know I think I'll try some scrap yarn with the homespun. I made the chain last night, then when making the first row of stitches I had some chain left over, but my stitch count was correct, so obviously I was putting more than one stitch in each chain. Wish me luck, or else the yarn is going back to the store.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 5:40PM
socks

Keep us posted on how it goes. I think it's a very forgiving yarn as far as small errors go. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 9:58PM
gracie01

I DID IT!!! I'm happy to report that I used a baby yarn along with the homespun for my chain. It still wasn't easy to find those darn stitches, but it sure helped. Also I used a K hook instead of J. I can't believe the difference in using that K hook. With the J hook the yarn kept snagging on the hook; not so with the K. I'm already done with 4 rows. I am mostly crocheting by "feel" instead of sight, since I've been crocheting for many years. This yarn is defintely NOT for beginners. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 11:27AM
proudmary56

Glad to hear you wiped that homespun into shape. It is a bit of a challenge.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 4:35PM
socks

I think I remember having a similar experience with that yarn. You are right, it's not for beginners (or quitters either!) I assume your final product will be bigger because of the bigger hook so watch that.

Congratulations!

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
sesame street patterns
Hi knitters, This is my first post. I hope someone...
iambusyknitting
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
Sponsored Products
Madison Rain Barrel
Grandin Road
Leucos | Loft Medium Wall Sconce
$666.00 | YLighting
Le Klint | Le Klint Pendant 168
YLiving.com
Marietta Collection 21 3/4" High Post Mount Outdoor Light
Lamps Plus
K&B Beige Klik-Klak Sofa Bed
Overstock.com