striped socks

sylvialeeSeptember 10, 2009

I am knitting with striped wool for the first time and have finished the 1st sock.

Question - Is the striping on the second sock supposed to start at exactly the same colour? I would have to discard quite a long piece of the wool to get the striping colour sequence exactly the same. Does it really matter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vickey__MN

Depends on the person. Some like them to match, some don't. My DD says she didn't care, so hers do not match. If you don't care, start sock where-ever you want. If you want them to match, discard the yarn!

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 7:36AM
Vickey__MN

As my sister said, and I have added this to my "Words of wisdom"

THERE IS NO KNITTING POLICE"....do what you want!

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 7:42AM
tami_ohio

Sylvia, my trick is to use a digital kitchen scale, if using a 100 gm ball of yarn, and divide it in half, rewinding it into two balls. I try to have the "begining" ends matching at that point. If they don't, (and I start both socks at the same time on two different needles so I get them close to matching), Just unravel the second ball til it matches, and save that yarn. You might need it to finish the toe of the second sock. By all means, don't throw it away! And like Vickey said, there is no knitting police, so if it doesn't bother you, start wherever you like.

Tami

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 7:46PM
Vickey__MN

Oh I should have worded it like Tami..don't ever THROW AWAY the yarn..by discard it I mean add it to that pile you accumilate (or will) of sock yarn that you "may need some day".

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 8:08PM
sylvialee

Thanks ladies for your advice. I have finished the socks. I didn't take the time or trouble to match the stripping on the yarn. The socks look fine to me and were for me anyway being as they are my first try with the stripping yarn.

YOU ARE RIGHT VICKEY - there is no Knitting police.
On to my next pair (started already) This sock knitting is so addictive. I try to sneak in a few rows everywhere - on the phone, at the hairdressers, etc,etc, even whenever I walk by my knitting. Is everyone this bad?

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 3:53PM
Vickey__MN

Oh did I forget to mention that part? Addicting is not even the word. I LOVE to knit socks, and do not even want to finish my other projects...even resent my other projects because they take away from my sock knitting.

Check out these sock patterns.....

Monkey socks have been my favorites...though circle socks have been an close second. I want to knit almost all of them and of course am not even close.

Vickey_MN

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Sock Patterns

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 3:30AM
tami_ohio

Congratulations!

Addictive? You bet! Tho it's not as much fun if you do some for profit. I have a friend who comissioned me for FOUR pair of wool hunting socks, by Nov.'s hunting season. I have two done now and have acutally got a callus on my left index finger from pushing the needle back thru the stitch! Of course, when I get finished, I might have the $ for a new computer if I need it! I told him an astronomical price, thinking I would price myself out of the work. It didn't work. I should have told him $200 a pair! But I didn't.

Tami

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
1970's crochet skunk air freshener can cover
Does anybody happen to have the crochet pattern for...
catsoup
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
Sponsored Products
Authentic Pestemal Fouta Royal Blue and White Bold Stripe Turkish Cotton Bath/ B
Overstock.com
Capel Alameda 1085 Area Rug - 1085RS02000300475
$402.75 | Hayneedle
Surfer Blue Bold Stripe Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor American Rug Craftsmen Rugs James Parks Black 2 ft.
$89.97 | Home Depot
Green Stripe Leonida Wool Area Rug
$139.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Broad Stripe Dhurrie
Serena & Lily
Outdoor Decor Navy 54 x 84-Inch Escape Stripe Grommet Top Single Panel
$23.95 | Bellacor
Tufted Outdoor Chaise Cushion
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™