Tension of stitches on the needle

jennAugust 23, 2007

I've done some knitting and ripping this week while re-learning to knit again. I watched some very helpful on-line videos. I'm having a problem making the stitches too tight which makes it difficult to insert a needle. While watching the videos I noticed that the knitter doesn't tug much on the stitch as she transfers it to the other needle; she just simply keeps the tips of the needles close and transfers the stitch and then begins the next one.

What is the basic principle of determining the tension of a stitch on the needle? How much should I tug on the yarn to snug it up, if at all?

Currently I'm just practicing the basics but my first projects will be scarves and dishcloths.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Jenn, the only time I tug a bit to snug up a stitch is when I'm using double pointed needles and knitting in the round, and even then, not very much. From what you wrote, it sounds like you are tugging on all of your stitches, which I don't think is a good thing. It will take you forever to make something if you do that, and the tension won't just be in your stitches, you'll be full of tension, too, LOL. Try knitting without tugging on any of the stitches and see what you think.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 10:05PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Do NOT tug. Just move the yarn over the needle and make the stitch complete by transferring the stitch to the right needle.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 1:26AM
tami_ohio

The only time I tug on my stitches is when I first start a needle, as in the first stitch on double points or the first stitch of a row. That stitch is always the loosest. Otherwise, just practice will help you get the tension better.

Tami

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 8:37PM
jenn

Thank you. I finished my first dishrag last week and it looks pretty good if I say so myself. I figured out how to just transfer the yarn to the right needle without tightening it. It takes some practice to get the hang of it.

I may start a new one tonight, one with hearts, using red yarn. I'm using Lion Brand mercerized cotton, good for learning. I hope to move on to scarves soon, using Lion Brand 'Thick and Chunky', but it's so hot right now that scarf season seems like only a dream.

Thanks again for your help.

Jen

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 9:22PM
sandra_ferguson

Quit with the cotton yarn, already....and, move to something else....anything but cotton, which has no give to it whatsoever...it's like knitting with rope! When you pull on the 2 ends of a piece of cotton yarn, it does nothing..... there is NO give to it - try the same with a piece of wool yarn, or even an acrylic...lots of give. So, move on to something else and see it it isn't easier to work with. Make a scarf. If you need some easy instructions, let me know.

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Savoy Links Embroidered Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Shadow Creek Eight-Piece Comforter Set
$84.99 | zulily
Dripping Stiches 22-Inch Neon Decorative Pillows - Set of Two
$107.95 | Bellacor
Malabar Duvet Cover by DwellStudio
$194.99 | Lumens
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot