Left handed knitter-glittens

summer_fashionAugust 20, 2009

I'm left handed and was told by someone who is very expert in knitting that as a left hander I would have a hard time knitting the glittens that I got the patterns for. Is there any special way for a left hander to knit glittens? Would all knitting patterns be hard to work with because they're for right handed knitters? I have a lot of nice patterns but I guess they're all for right handed knitters. Thank you. Margaret

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

I don't think your left handedness would affect you knitting so much as being a beginner knitting a difficult pattern like glittens. In my experience with left handers they don't do everything with their left hands. My husband is left handed and he eats and writes with his left hand and throws a ball with his right.

You use both hands to knit and if you are a beginner it will be awkward at first anyway. Try knitting a scarf first. Then you can get the tension right. If I could I'd show you how to knit the European way. Where you hold the wool in your right hand and knit with the left.

You won't know unless you try. Give it a whirl. Don't let someone else tell you what you can or can't do. You can if you want to.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 9:20PM
Vickey__MN

Okay I too cannot imagine why it would matter. And the only way to find out is to try! IF you are worried about it, make the first pair you try out of a cheap acrylic yarn rather than an expensive yarn (if that were your plan).

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 9:34PM
msmeow

I'm a lefty and have knitted for over 40 years...I've never had a second thought about it. It's crochet that I sometimes have a challenge with.

Donna

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Lined Mittens
I am knitting my first pair of mittens. Have not knitted...
colorcrazy
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™