Introducing myself!

rmlanzaAugust 15, 2008

Hi there, I usually hang out on the kitchen forum (remodeled last year...glad THAT'S over with!!!). I'm Robin, 38 and a stay at home mom of 3. A few years ago I found an old knitting book, some needles and a skein of yarn my mother had given me years before. She had taught me to knit as a little girl but I had long forgotten. With the help of that book I taught myself to knit again and have been knitting ever since. I also taught myself to crochet with the help of the about.com site. I'm constantly working on one project or another now. I still consider myself a beginning knitter, I don't do much more than scarves, belts, washcloths and baby blankets. I've attempted sweaters a couple of times but don't have much patience for long projects. For a while I was more into crocheting and feel I'm a bit more experienced with that now than with knitting. I like small projects and love that with crochet, you can make different shapes easier than with knitting. I love making flowers to dress up my daughter's jean jacket, fridgies (which I turned into pins) for teacher's gifts, potholders, tote bags, and various other small projects. I'm sure I'll be checking in frequently to trade patterns and tips with others on this forum. Here are some pics of my most recent knitted washcloth craze. I just mailed off the Snoopy, Woodstock and Elmo ones to my friend's toddler today, the lighthouse one is for my MIL. I just finished up a dragonfly one today but haven't yet taken a picture of it. Let me know what you think! I know they're easy to make, but they're fun and I don't get bored with them!

Snoopy:

Woodstock:

Elmo:

lighthouse:

Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suebdoo

Hello rmlanza,
It's very nice to meet you and I do love your washcloths
they are adorable!

Sue

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 8:46PM
sheilajoyce_gw

So cute! Do you think the washcloths will work as a form of bribery to help motivate little boys to scrub their faces????

Those little figures would look darling on the fronts and backs of sweaters.

I learned to knit the same way. My mother taught me how to knit and purl when I was about 8 or 10. My mom died a few years later and I never really knit again other than that one winter.

Then when I was in college, knitting bulky sweaters was the rage, so I bought a pattern book, taught myself how to cast on with no instructions, just remembering how my mom used her hands. Took a little experimenting.

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 10:07PM
pandora429

These washcloths are adorable and fun...every child would love to use them, how cute!!!
I do not knit and can appreciate how beautifull the craft is when I see intricate patterns on a washcloth..very clever!! Welcome to the gardenweb...

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 1:48PM
chrizty

WOW Robin! you do great work! those are to cute:)

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 1:08AM
tami_ohio

Welcome to the forum! Those are great! Where did you get the patterns? My grandson is five and my nephew is six. They would love them.

Tami

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 8:39AM
rmlanza

Thanks everyone, the cloths are fun, fast and easy. My favorite types of patterns! They came from the knitting pattern central site under dishcloths. They list them in alphabetical order but these, because of copyrights I'm assuming, are listed as the "beagle cloth", "woody cloth", and "furry red monster cloth". The lighthouse one is also on that site but because of the k2tog and skpo and yo's, they are a tiny bit more difficult than the others. The others are all just knit and purl. I'll post the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: knitting pattern central dishcloth patterns

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Sponsored Products
Design Toscano Farmer Fanny Garden Statue - QL2740
$62.90 | Hayneedle
AF Lighting Candice Olson Silver Table Lamp
$394.20 | LuxeDecor
Sydney Flat Top Deck Box - C39548BBLK
$299.00 | Hayneedle
Adesso Hollywood Satin Steel Table Lamp
$60.79 | LuxeDecor
Beam Mahogany 48 to 84-Inch Double Curtain Rod
$58.95 | Bellacor