Help!

gardenwayAugust 10, 2008

How do I crochet both sides of a chain? Where do I put the hook, in what loops. Do I crochet the chain as normally would and then how to do the other side?

"sc down one side of the chain. Continue around corner and sc down the other side of chain."

Probably something simple and I'll feel very dumb.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I crochet in one loop of the chain, then in the opposite loop. It is that simple. Baby booties start that way at making the sole.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 3:43PM
gardenway

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought it was. Except I was going to go in the loop under two threads as usual and then turn and down the other side and go under the one thread left in the loop. You are saying one thread of loop each way?
I had done a search and could find nothing regarding. Wish I could see a diagram.
Yes, it is a baby booties pattern I was looking at.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 4:43PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Yes, make that first row in one loop each way. Actually, that method you used will work too, but what I described will give you a more even look. I think of a chain stitch as looking like a chain link on top. Underneath the chain, there is a row of yarn bumps the length of the chains. So I usually crochet up one side of the chain link on the top, sc 3 times in the end chain, and then turn and go down the other side of the chain links. Then that "bump" underneath forms something of a fill between the two rows of single crochets.

If you are making a scarf or afghan, some people like to crochet the first row into that bump only so that the remaining chain on the top of that row row will match the last row of the scarf or afghan. Of course, if the scarf or afghan will have an edge crocheted around it, that first row doesn't matter that much either.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 10:17PM
gardenway

Does help, thanks! I'll do it the way you said - make the first row in one loop each way.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Need Musical Notes/Instruments Afghan ideas...
I am thinking ahead to October. My daughter's boyfriend...
profsusan
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™