Learned my lesson the hard way!
Well, Saturday night I finally got the seams sewn on a sweater I knitted for my niece. This pattern has been one frustration and roadblock after another. The first problem was the sleeves. I followed the directions to the letter, and the first sleeve was 20" long (the supposed finished length) and I still had many rows to go. Plus a 20" sleeve is about 4" too long! So, I ripped out the whole first sleeve, left out the "work even" part and started increasing right away.
I should have known to stop right then, but I kept going. The pattern had several more errors, and quite a few vague instructions. Did I learn after the 2nd time I had to rip out to fix something? Nooooo....I kept knitting.
This pattern has a beautiful intricate cable on the sleeves, and pretty cables in the ribbing. In the photo it's really pretty.
So, as I said, Sat. night I got the seams sewn and tried it on. My niece is about the same size as me. The sleeves are at least 4" too long, and the body of the sweater is big enough to go around both of us. With the way the shoulder shaping worked up, you could put football pads inside this sweater!
I am so discouraged and frustrated! Yesterday I found a differnt pattern on Patons website, and bought more yarn to make a second sweater. The first one will get finished eventually and given to Goodwill or someplace.
The first pattern was from Knitty.com. I guess I've learned my lesson about patterns from blogs and the like. I'm sticking with published patterns from now on!