How to knit using circular needles

summer_fashionAugust 7, 2009

I'm just learning to knit. Could anyone tell me which patterns to print that use circular knitting needles? Also, is it hard to knit using circular needles? Which size circular should I buy to start with? Thank you. Margaret

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jjknitter

Here is a site showing how to use the circular needle.
What I suggest is that you put a marker between 1st stitch
and last stitch so you know where to stop!
http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingskills/qt/circularbasics.htm
Hope this helps and good luck.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 11:53AM
Vickey__MN

It also depends on what you're making with circular needles. I LOVE circular needles for EVERYTHING. You can knit flat stuff with circular, not just round stuff (like SOCKS, my addiction!). I like that the needle (stiff part) isn't as long. WHen starting I liked 8,9 or 10 as it wasn't too big nor too small. AND I liked bamboo, and about a 24 inch cable. But it's something you start aquiring, and depends on what you're knitting.

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 1:06PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Circular needles can also be used like straight ones, where you just go back and forth. Your pattern will tell you the size needles you need. I'm doing an afghan with 36" long size 8 needles. I couldn't use them on a small project.

I like to use circular needles because when I have to stop for any reason, I just pull up both needles and shove the work onto the cord. No chance of stitches falling off.

I like them so much, that I bought a whole set of needles with interchangeable cords. Of course, the first thing I made after that purchase required a size/length that I didn't have!! Oh well.

Find something you would enjoy making, get the needles that the pattern recommends, and have fun. In a few years, you will have quite an assortment of needles.

-Babka

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™