adding words on knitting

kaymcdAugust 30, 2007

Hello

Does anyone know how to add names etc to a knitting item. I knitted a baby bib and want to put in the center my grandchild's name and birth date on it. Or am I crazy?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

In Word (or another program of this type) you can choose the font and layout for the name you want to use. Then save it as a GIF, JPEG, or PNG (no larger than 1meg. Then go to Knit Pro at the link below and convert it to a knit graph. I have used this and it has been very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knit Pro

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 12:41PM
msmeow

If you don't want to knit the name as you are going, you can embroider it on later with duplicate stitch. I think most general knitting instruction books would tell you how to do that.

Donna

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 1:20PM
craftfetish

You aren't crazy. I think this is a lovely idea.

If you have already knitted the bib, then Donna's suggestion of duplicate stitch is probably what you need to use.

You could make your own pattern using KnitPro or knitting graph paper or you could copy a pre-existing alphabet pattern that you like (googling "free knit alphabet pattern" will pull up a bunch you can choose from).

Good luck! (And congrats on the new grandbaby!)

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 10:48AM
lindac

I have done that many many times...and long before there was knitting graph paper...I just had to graph out the letters to be tal and skinny.
It's not hard to do to lay it out on graph paper and then just wind the bobbins and knit it in.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 7:29PM
sandra_ferguson

I've knitted many children's sweaters with their name on the front....I knit in the round, which makes it easier...simply graph the letters (easy to do in block letters on regular graph paper), center on the front of the sweater, and, using a second yarn, knit the stitches that form the letters. You can also, using the graph, knit the stitches of the name letters, and pearl all those stitches around the name...I generally just do the pearl stitches all the way round...so the knit stitches appear in a band of pearl stitches..this pearling makes the letters of the name stand out, and does away with the need for a second color.

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 5:38PM
profsusan

here's a site where you can type in the words and they create the chart for you

Here is a link that might be useful: Celtic Stitch Chart Generator

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™