Knitting with three colors!!

areade5177August 13, 2011

I am knitting a pattern with three colors and am having a hard time figuring out how the right side wrong side part plays into the changing of the colors. I keep ending up with a dotted line across both sides of my project. I want the right side to be pretty abd without the obvious stitching of the next color across it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Particularly does it matter which color is on top when I wrap the yarn around the needle in order to form a stitch? Thank you all for your input!! Greatly appreciatedâ¦

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane2

I hate those dotted line rows too!

I hope you are not knitting with more than one colour at a time, because that will require a different answer than the one I am going to write.

It does not matter at all which colour is on top when you change colours.

With garter stitch (knitting all of the stitches) or when all of the rows are purled, the thing that matters - to keep all the dotted line rows on one side of the knitted piece - is that you always start your different colour on the same side as the previous colour change(s).
To be perfectly technical about it - you can only change colours after you have knit an even number of rows (after 2 rows, or 4 rows, or 6 rows, etc.)
Or only after an odd number of rows - after 3 rows, 5 rows, 7, etc.

You did not say if the pattern is all garter stitch (all knit stitches) or if it is stockinette stitch (knit a row, then purl a row). With stockinette stitch, I can't remember right off the top of my head ... but the same sort of principle applies. Colour change(s) must only be done after the purl row (I think) so the dotted rows only appear on the wrong side of the knitted piece. (If that is wrong, then the colour change can only be done after the knitted row.) Try it and see.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™