crochet popcorn stitch

delightfulgardenAugust 20, 2006

Hi, Need help with instructions of a filet crochet pattern from 1947. This is the first row: dc 8th chain from hook, ch 2.......etc (pc st made), ch 1, now here's where I'm confused - DC IN NEXT DC (PC BL MADE); DC IN NEXT 12 CH (4 BLS MADE), 1 PC BL, MAKE 5 SPS, 1 PC BL, 5 BLS ...........

How/ where do I DC IN NEXT DC right after a popcorn stitch when I'm working on the 1st row which is chain stitches - is it some where in the popcorn stitch? And 12 dc makes up 4 blocks BLS; are blocks consisting of 3 dc each so I'd do 15 dc for 5 blocks? I'd consider myself an intermediate but this has me stumped, plus it's my first filet crochet.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I think they made a mistake. DC in the next chain. Otherwise, I think you got it.

I assume one filet square is made of 3 stitches; therefore, the block is the solid square made of 3 dc, and the opposite of the open square or space (which must be dc, ch, dc). They have chosen a rather awkward way to write the pattern. I prefer crocheting filet patterns from graphs.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 4:30AM
delightfulgarden

Thanks sheilajoyce. It probably is a typo. I'm working on another bedspread from a vintage pattern and instead of saying alternate with 3 dc, then popcorn st to the end of the row it is written out each and every time the stitch is made. This filet pattern is a bedspread with diamond shapes and I'm hoping to make the panel into a valance for my bed to go with a Quilted Diamonds bedspread - also in the process of making.

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 11:13AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Good for you. Sounds like a pretty set. I have wondered about making a filet valance or curtain for the bathroom window, but never found a pattern that suited me and the window.

I have to finish a long banquet cloth in filet that I have been working on and off on for over 2 years. --Busy knitting and crocheting for first grandbaby now. --But the cloth needs about 18 inches more, and there is a mistake that keeps throwing the pattern off as it narrows to the oval end. I was going to try to figure how and where I put two extra squares or so into the row, but now I think I will just try to continue to fudge it till it is done. With each row, the error becomes more obvious to me as the oval narrows.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Sponsored Products
Hook Suspension
Lightology
Terzani | Hook Chandelier
YLighting
Cane Rod Pocket 84-inch Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Artecnica Come Rain Come Shine Chandelier in Black Small
ModernistLighting.com
Zig Lamp by Terzani
$1,150.00 | Lumens