which induction cook tops can be flush mounted?

aviphysicsJanuary 24, 2014

I am trying to figure out which induction cooktops can be flush mounted. I have seen some posts about people getting flush mount models from Thermador, but I couldn't find a specifically flush mount model on their web site and it doesn't say anything about flush mounting in the instructions.

Does anyone have any guidance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smiling

I know the Miele 30" induction cooktop can be flush mounted (probably the 36" too, but you'd have to verify on that one). The flush mount option is illustrated in their installation diagrams for the 30". It takes very very precise cutting of the granite, so you may want to be sure your fabricator has high-tech equipment.

I'm also doing the flush mount, and was advised to have the induction unit delivered to the granite shop, same as the sinks.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 1:20AM
aviphysics

That is helpful.

Too bad Miele is a little out of our price range.

I was thinking about maybe the GE 36" frameless. Kind of nervous about flush mounting though. If we ever needed to replace the unit, we would be up the river without a paddle.

Also thinking that in 5-10 years, the induction units that let you place the pot anywhere might be better and more reasonable priced.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:45AM
sjhockeyfan325

That's why I would never do a built-in coffee system (just think about those Nu-Tone built-in blender things). I'm sure it would look great though.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:28AM
smiling

I know what you mean, and it gave me pause, too, before proceeding. I agree that in 5-10 years things will be different. By then, I may be able to go up to the 36" size, zoneless, and just have to have the granite cutout enlarged (messy but doable). I've left room on either side for the larger future unit, and also left clearance above to go from a 30" to a 36" hood. Oh, and I somehow remembered to have it installed on a 50 amp circuit for future needs. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy having the flush mount.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 3:50PM
Trebruchet

aviphysics:

Flush mounted cooktops are like spike-heeled shoes; they look great, but can be dangerous.

If you must, follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. Have your fabricator ease all the cut edges and line the cutout with heat conductive tape. Make sure you never use a pot that's larger than the size of the burner. You don't want to transfer heat to the top, no matter what the stoners say.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 4:45PM
smiling

"You don't want to transfer heat to the top, " Do you mean the top of the induction cooktop, or the top of the stone counter? Thanks for the warning.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:42PM
Trebruchet

smiling:

The top of the stone counter.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:48PM
smiling

got it, thanks again Trebruchet

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 3:35PM
repac

I have a Wolf flush mounted induction cooktop, and I love it! An advantage of the flush mount is that the cooktop can be an extension of the countertop. Large serving platters can easily extend from countertop to cooktop (the cooktop remains cool enough for dishes to be placed on it safely). And it's great not to have a frame that collects food particles. No problem with buildup on the seam of the frameless cooktop. Also, the cooktop doesn't heat up the neighboring granite even with prolonged cooking of large pots of soup.

Although you may not be considering a Wolf, I assume that induction cooktops work pretty much the same.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 3:39PM
moebus

I believe the loose cannon there probably meant to suggest insulating tape not conductive tape. The flush tops all come with an insulating tape that the glass sits on to provide cushionning as well. The small side gap between the top and the stone is then filled with silicon which also insulates. Most installers/repairers don't like the flush installations because they don't have the expertise to deal with the silicon and it takes longer.
We have a flush mount unit which looks beautiful in a minimalist kitchen. We've used oversize pots without problems because the glass beyond the pot never really heats more than being warm to the hand. Properly installed there is no danger involved.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 7:47PM
Trebruchet

moebus:

I'm familiar with the insulating tape; it has a kind of felt with foil.

I meant to say what I said, which is heat conductive foil tape. It conducts heat away from countertops.

I recommend following the manufacturer's tape recommendations even more than my own suggestions.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
Did anyone purchase a new color KitchenAid stand mixer...
...to go with your new kitchen? We are weeks away from...
mrsartsncrafts
Silgranit vs. Kohler cast iron Smart Divide
I have always thought I would get a Silgranit sink....
kelleg69
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™