gauge help needed...grace vs. worsted

dllfbJuly 2, 2008

I have a summer top pattern that IÂd love to knit, however it calls for worsted weight yarn. ItÂs

pattern states a gauge of 20 sts and 26 rows = 4 inches or 10 cm in st st...I have a bunch a Grace

cotton yarn that someone gave me. It is a lot thinner and has gauge with size 4 mm (US 6)

needles = 24 stitches = 4 inches or 10 cm. but I really want to use this Grace and was wondering

how I could use it in this pattern...could I use double the strand of yarn or make the pattern a

larger size/smaller....IÂve always been terrible at the conversion stuff???Any ideas you could give

me would be great...thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
damascusannie

Have you actually made your own test swatch? I knit a lot looser than many pattern gauges, so I often can get away with using thinner yarns than a pattern calls for. If it's still too small try moving up one needle size and see if that works. You might get lucky.

Annie

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 12:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mommytomany

Might I ask what summer top pattern you are using? DamascusAnnie is right about the swatch. That's the first thing you'll want to do. I personally knit tighter than the given gauge. If the pattern is a simple one and includes a schematic you can use your gauge to personalize the sweater with whatever yarn you would like. I just did this with a dress recently and I used Grace yarn.

Sometimes the only problem with using larger needles when the yarn is of smaller gauge is that the weave in the fabric tends to be looser making the garment a little more "revealing" than one would like.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™