A/C vent leaking in one of the bedrooms

chrissycApril 23, 2008

We've just turned the A/C unit on for the first time since last summer and about 30 minutes later, noticed water coming through the vent in our sons room (no where else, just there). It was leaking quite a bit. We turned off the air and it has just about stopped leaking now. Any ideas of what could be going on and how to resolve it? Thanks a bunch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ryanhughes

Is it ductwork from the attic? If so, did any insulation peel off?

Is there high humidity in that room when this occurs?

Did it do this before?

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 9:34PM
energy_rater_la

More information is needed for this 'internet' diagnostic.
Can you take a look at the duct...assuming that it is in the attic..or basement..and describe what you see?

Is the grill condensating or is the water dripping from the center of the grill?

Where are you (and your ductwork) located?

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 10:42PM
miken_2008

If the problem is being caused from your AC and not a coincidental plumbing issue you have a condensation problem either the supply tap is probably improperly insulated if this not the problem the supply tap may be close to the unit and the unit has a plugged drain or is improperly insulated, next you should look at the filter (actually first) a plugged filter will slow down airflow and decrease supply air temp creating a greater chance of condensation on metal surfaces

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Conditioning Repair made Easy

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 11:49PM
davidandkasie

at our office the account payable lady gets too hot during the winter so she closes her vent off most of the way. every year come cooling season she gripes that water is dripping onto her desk. and every year it is because the vent is mostly closed and with our high humidity it causes condensation. open the vent fully and she never has another issue.

maybe your vent is closed too much?

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 10:33AM
chrissyc

I wanted to thank everyone for their help. We got it figured out. The pipe above the return came apart and was letting water pour out. Just had to get it glued back together. Luckily, no damage was done, and I'm not sweating anymore :) Thanks again!!

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 9:28AM
evah

Hi, one of our ac vents started leaking too and i have no idea what's causing it... where and what is the pipe above the return? I'm so frustrated, my husband just left for deployment and terrible things seem to happen evrytime he's gone.... i appreciate any help and info!

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™