Just got back from Iceland, what should I do with all this wool?!

rmlanzaJuly 10, 2009

Hey gang. It's been a while since I've posted here. I just got back from a fantastic vacation in Iceland and I bought a bunch of yarn there but not sure what I should make with it. Not sure I bought enough in any coordinating colors to make anything big. I've got 3 balls of dark brown, 1 cream, 1 white, 1 dark fuscia and 1 medium green, all 100g balls of 100% Icelandic wool, bulky weight. I've also got 1 pink, 1 blue, 1 purple and 1 white of a lighter weight, possibly worsted, 50g balls. I thought of making scarves but this is pretty scratchy wool, not real comfy around the neck. I'm thinking maybe mittens in some of the more fun colors although I've never made mittens before. I'd like a simple vest pattern for the browns and cream, if I have enough. Anyone have any good suggestions or links to patterns? I'm not asking for free patterns unless there's a source that has free patterns, I'm willing to pay for a good one!

Thanks a bunch!

Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dash2

Since you didn't say whether you were interested in knitting or crocheting, I'll just make a general suggestion. Do a Google search for:

scandanavian knitting designs or
scandanavian crochet designs

You can also go to garnstudio.com There you'll find many, many free designs with a choice of either knit or crochet. Plenty of inspiration.

Due to the scratchy factor, sounds like a cardigan may be the right choice for you.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 10:02PM
rmlanza

Thank you yarnlover! I do both crochet and knit but prefer knit for this wool. That site, garnstudio.com, is wonderful! I'd never seen that one before and what gorgeous patterns! I'm sure I'll find something there.

Thanks again!
Robin

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 2:41PM
Dash2

You're quite welcome. Enjoy working your project. Wish I had thought to bring home yarn from Iceland. I did get yarn in Ireland, but never gave a thought to Iceland. I found it beautiful there, in an unconventional way.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 12:44PM
rmlanza

You've been? Whenever we told anyone we were going to Iceland, they'd all ask why Iceland? Most people would go to London (been there) or Rome (been there too) or Paris (not yet!). But we really loved Iceland. And of course it's much more economical to go there now than it was a few years ago. Australia and Ireland are next on our list I think. I like to buy native yarns when I go somewhere and make my own souvenirs! My daughter and I stayed on an alpaca farm on Whidbey Island last fall and I made scarves with yarn that came from those alpacas!

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
How to make a rattail?
I remember when I was real young, we would put some...
barb_roselover_in
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™