Make Up Air Question

dancingqueengwApril 18, 2012

I am replacing a 24 year old downdraft Jennair range with either an induction GE or a gas range. I also plan to replace the our microwave, which is directly over this range and vents to the outside, with a real range hood. Can my Jennair downdraft vent be reworked to be a make up air source?

Also, how would you recommend finding a HVAC person as the only ones I seem to every find only want to sell furnaces? I'd love to find someone to evaluate my duct work, maybe have a camera run through them to find out why some rooms have no heat and others are blasting. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As far as your ductwork is concerned do you have dampers? They could be out of balance. Running a camera will just waste your money.

    Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 9:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You may be able to use the duct to the old jennair to provide the make up air. When you do find a good heating contractor, he should be able to look at it for you. It may not even be necessary in your home depending on the size of the range hood.

The ductwork in your home definately should be evaluated and balanced. Check on sites like "Angie's List" for your area. Do your homework and you should be able to find a reputable HVAC contractor.

Here is a link that might be useful: heatandcooldiy

    Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 7:40PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
Sponsored Products
AHB Napoli Back Bar Mirror - 100810ET.1
$499.95 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Thorton 52 in. Gunmetal Ceiling Fan grey YG182-GM
Home Depot
Fanimation Andover 54-inch 3-light Ceiling Fan
Radiance? White Flame Mini Pendant with Canary Yellow Glass
$178.20 | Bellacor
Homelegance Inglewood 43 Inch Chest in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Serena & Lily Santa Cruz Zig-Zag Pendant
Serena & Lily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™