yarn for dishcloths??

Carol_AnnJuly 17, 2007

I decided to knit a couple of dishcloths just for fun... when I looked at several patterns, they all called for worsted weight cotton. I only went one place but all they had in worsted weight cotton was yarn in baby colors -- pale blue, pink, yellow, and white. Not interested in those colors for a dishcloth. What yarn do you use, and where do you find it? Is an acrylic-cotton blend ok? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

Lion Brand makes Kitchen Cotten, which is worsted weight. I get it a Michaels or WalMart, it seems to me. Been a while since I bought any.

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 11:48AM
lawmar

I use that Sugar and Cream cotton yarn from Lily. Comes in a whole bunch of colors too. Anyways, I have always used that and it's great! Lately though, I have been knitting some pot scrubbies and just using up some acrylic yarn that I have a tubfull of and it works great for those!! They fit right into the palm of my hand and the acrylic yarn is great for scrubbing!

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 12:13PM
wantoretire_did

The Sugar and Cream (or Peaches 'n Creme) small balls are sold at WM and AC Moore here. WM has the large cones as well, but AC Moore has a few more vivid colors.

The website below has a fantastic selection, tho I haven't ordered from them yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton worsted yarn

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 1:31PM
rwisniew

Carol Ann,

Hi! I have used both, but I prefer Lionsbrand's kitchen cotton, but if I remember correctly Lily's has more color selection. I order on-line at Joann's .com

Sherri W.
SW Minnesota

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 10:48AM
profsusan

I have been lucky to purchase LionBrand, Peaches & Cream and Sugar & Cream at AC Moore, JoAnn and Walmart. Our JoAnn closed but a Michael's is supposed to go there so we'll see what they have. I find they all work fine. I've purchased both from the 2.5 oz size to the 16 oz spool. I generally select colors that match my dish towels/kitchen so they can be thrown in the same wash. I avoid colors that are too light since they get discolored too easily with all the food stains.

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 1:08PM
Carol_Ann

Thanks, everyone... for whatever reason, our Michael's only had the baby colors in worsted weight cotton, one brand, and that was it. I found a little more selection at JoAnn's and love the selection on line. If I decide to do very many, I'll definitely order that way. Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 4:19PM
BarbaraNY316

I have quite a bit of the cotton cord that you are talking about. Get in touch with me by email and use the subject line Cotton Cord. I live in South Carolina, North Myrtle Beach.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 8:56PM
gabriell_gw

I've made a number of dish cloths and always used left over yarn. Every type I've used has worked well.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 10:47PM
kayrita

I use sugar & cream for making my dishcloths. But I am looking for something different. My Aunt who just passed away made a couple of dishcloths for my Mom. They were made out of something that seems to be a cross between sugar and cream and a brillo pad (light on the brillo pad). I have searched everywhere and seem to find anything like it. Does anyone have any suggestion? I would love to find this stuff. It doesn't stain, doesn't hold odors, and does a little scrubbing and washes out well just in your dish water. Help, any one???

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 1:17PM
damascusannie

They are making some yarns with steel wool in them--is it a cotton/steel wool blend? I found the website below that usually has some (out of stock right now.)

Here is a link that might be useful: stainless steel/cotton yarn

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 5:30PM
tami_ohio

Kayrita, you might try getting a yard of nylon netting at the fabric store and cutting it into 1-2" strips (you can tie the strips together with a knot, or, I zigzag or serge the ends together to make one long strip) and crochet or knit with the strand of yarn and the strip of netting held together as one. Just do a small piece that you could use as a scrubbie to see if it's similar to what you want.

Tami

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
looking for Annies Attic Dainty Dress Up Pattern
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get...
nursemom
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Gingham Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Oushak Rug 6' x 9' - CRANBERRY/SAGE
$1,719.00 | Horchow
Perennial Tub Mat - ASH ( LT GRAY) (BATH MAT)
$50.00 | Horchow
Kalora Maroq Solid Bright Orange Soft Touch Rug-2144/3Y50 160230
Beyond Stores
Area Rug: Elegant Embrace Black 9' 2" x 12' 5"
Home Depot
Ava Area Rug
Grandin Road
Oushak Banbury Wool Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Artistic Weavers Rugs Gibbon Spa Blue 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™