another dishcloth yarn question -- help!

Carol_AnnJuly 22, 2007

I found some Peaches and Creme yarn, and some Sugar and Cream, and bought some... have finished one dishcloth and am halfway through another. Then, in looking at dishcloth patterns on the internet yesterday, I notice one pattern (out of all the dozens I've looked at) mentions that cotton will shrink and therefore you need to knit loosely. NOW they tell me :) But the same article mentioned that some cottons are pre-shrunk.

I can't find any info about pre-shrinking on the labels of the two kinds of yarns I bought so I guess I have to assume they aren't pre-shrunk?

Have any of you worked with these yarns and had them shrink much after washing the finished project?

What do you do -- do you shrink the yarn before you work it, (and if so, how?!), or do you knit loosely?

I wanted to make some cute spa cloths (ok, washrags) :) for gifts but don't want to give people something that's going to shrink and look funny after.

Please advise! Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudymom

Hi Carol_Ann, I have made hundreds of dishcloths. I use both of the yarn brands that you mentioned. Yes, they do shrink, but that's just fine. They look great even a little smaller. In fact I think the size is better once they have shrunk. I give them to people before I wash them. The ones I keep, I wash, then throw in the dryer. They are good for a long time, then they go in the rag bag. Below is my favorite site for dishcloths. Just put your cursor over the name of the dishcloth and look for the picture in the center blank square. I hope that helps.

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 12:54PM
trudymom

Oops, I forgot to link the site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Boutique

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 12:58PM
Carol_Ann

Thanks so much for the information -- I'll see how my first one looks after washing but I'm encouraged that I don't have to make a lot of adjustments! And thanks for the website -- lots of great patterns :)

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 5:48PM
gardenway

I find the dish cloths stretch when using, so I always make them smaller - I don't want a big floppy dish cloth to deal with.
When put in the wash and dryer I guess they do shrink, but stretch back out again when using.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
sesame street patterns
Hi knitters, This is my first post. I hope someone...
iambusyknitting
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
Sponsored Products
Jamie Young Leather Strap 19" High Round Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
DreamLine Prime Sliding Shower Enclosure and 38x38-inch Shower Tray
Overstock.com
Cold Cross Handle Angle Stop - 3/8" FIP x 3/8" OD Compression
Signature Hardware
Spectra 29" Spinner
$380.00 | Horchow
Acacia Paper Towel Holder
$8.99 | zulily