cream puffs--help, please

arandygailApril 20, 2008

I have tried for years to make a decent cream puff, but I have never been successful at the shells. I tried again this morning and suffered another failure. Now, I have some delicious bavarian cream filling and no puffs.

I use the typical mixture of 1 c. water, 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. butter, and 4 eggs. Bake at 400 for 25 min. They puff nicely and turn a beautiful brown, but they fall as soon as I take them from the oven.

Does anyone have a recipe for the shells that I can try?

Or a suggestion for what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Gail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo

How big are you making them? I make mine about golf ball sized and they go for 20 - 25 minutes. If yours are larger, maybe they just need to go a little longer so they hold their shape. I like mine to be almost past golden brown but certainly not burnt.

Alexa

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 10:53AM
lisbet

From Baking 911.com:
"However, if they are removed from the oven too soon, the structure of the shell has not solidified, and it will collapse. However, when you think they are done take one out of the oven and check it by breaking open and checking the interior walls. If wet and eggy, return to the oven as necessary. Remove when done and cool on a wire rack."
-----------------------------------
Turn off oven and let pan sit on open door to cool slowly so they do not collapse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cream Puff & Eclair Shells

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 11:20AM
bons

When you're mixing the ingredients in the pot you have to make sure to mix long enough to dry the batter a bit. I continously mix for 4 or 5 minutes before removing from heat.

I've never had a problem.

Bonnie

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 11:27AM
terri_pacnw

I agree with the above help. Mix well..you've made it if you go a few more minutes past your arm falling off. LOL
And turn off the oven and open the door to let dry out a bit more with no heat. I live in a mostly damp climate. Those are my tricks too.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 3:40PM
iowagirl2006

I make cream puffs A LOT, :)

If they fall, you are not baking them long enough - or you live in an extremely humid area.

Here is my method:

Boil 1 cup water with 1 stick real butter. Add 1 cup all purpose unbleached flour and stir in until it forms a ball - I use a silicone heat safe spatula. I mash the ball around a bit to make sure all the flour is incorporated.

Remove from heat for 10 minutes (set a timer!)

I then toss the mixture into my KitchenAid with the paddle attached. I beat one egg in at a time, scrapping down the bowl if needed. Beat each egg in well - 4 eggs in all.

I heat my oven to 400º and line my baking sheet with parchment paper.

I use a large size cookie scoop (just a bit smaller than an Ice cream scoop) to portion out the dough. I usually get around 15 at that size.

I also like to make them in a smaller size using a regular sized cookie scoop. I can get almost 40 at that size.

I usually bake them at least 30 minutes. Maybe a bit longer for the large size.

Every oven varies - you cannot bake them for an exact time - go off of color and feel.

You want them a deep golden brown.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Boneless Chuck Roast as a stand in for a brisket?
Normally I'd be cooking a brisket for Passover, so...
lowspark
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
johnliu_gw
Cool feature I've just noticed (OT)
Has anyone else noticed that you can click on a picture...
sally2_gw
What's Wrong with my Chocolate Chips? They Didn't Melt!
I was making the matzah toffee. No biggie, right? Though...
plllog
Sponsored Products
Baxton Studio Phaedra Paisley Ikat Modern Slipper Chair
Overstock.com
Contemporary Trunk End Table
$179.99 | Dot & Bo
Blue Rim Ice Cream Dish
$5.99 | zulily
Compamia ISP047-BEI Dolce Resin Outdoor Armchair - Beige - Set of 4 - ISP047-BEI
$356.99 | Hayneedle
Seafarer Rustic Bronze Three-Light Large Outdoor Wall Mount
$450.00 | Bellacor
Perkins Torchiere Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Softest Rug 9' x 12' - BLUE
$3,899.00 | Horchow
Monte Grande English Bronze Three-Light Outdoor Wall Mount
$274.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™