What to do with very heavy rug yarn?

quasifishJune 23, 2008

I recently inherited a quantity of yarn from my grandmother. Among it are several skeins of very thick, 100% wool rug yarn. I'd say it's resting diameter is somewhere around 3/8". I have no idea what to do with it, though it is very nice and I'd eventually like to make some type of project with it.

I searched around online and came up empty-handed. I asked my mom what grandma had bought the yarn for, and she said my grandmother had bought it back in the 50s to knit a shrug- but never got far, deciding she really didn't like the pattern after all.

Any ideas are welcome. I'm sitting here looking at this yarn and my mind is blank- I have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
damascusannie

Try to find a giant crochet hook and crochet a rug out of it. Or, if you prefer knitting, do the same with giant knitting needles. It does make good rugs.

Annie

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 10:01AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Will it felt into a purse or clogs?

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 1:54AM
quasifish

Thanks for the ideas. My cat had to go to the vet for emergency surgery, so this is the first I've made it back! He's A-OK now though.

I thought some about a rug, but am not sure that is what I'd like to do- it does seem most logical. It probably sounds silly, but I'd really like a pattern if I'm going to make a rug, and I can't find a pattern for a small rug. I make rag rugs from just about anything, so I do enough patternless rugs. I don't feel like I'm very good at feeling my way through increases.

I hadn't thought about felting it, so that's something to keep in mind.

The bulk of what she had is a beautiful grey heather. In my mind I can see a shawl type of thing- the kind that's rectangular and maybe has cables, but beyond my imagination, I don't know how to get to a nice looking pattern, LOL. And I'm not sure something like that would suit me anyway.

Thanks for the ideas, it's given me a bit to think about.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 5:43PM
BarbaraNY316

I suggest working a craft bag. Easy pattern with maybe a P or Q hook. I don't work wool ...allergic to it. But here is a quick easy starter bag.

Chain as many stitches you want as the width of the bag.

Now crochet in all stitches down one side of the chain and 3 stitches in the end stitch and then up the other side of the chain and again 3 stitches in the end. (with such heavy yarn do either double or triple crochet stitch)and continue to work in rounds.

Continue to work around until the bag is the depth you could use. Add a handle......and enjoy

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 8:02PM
jane2

Probably the vet would appreciate small rugs for in the cages in his surgery. Certainly the animals would appreciate it!

Janey

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Need Musical Notes/Instruments Afghan ideas...
I am thinking ahead to October. My daughter's boyfriend...
profsusan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™