Knitting & Crocheting Newbie!

tumblingtomatoesJune 11, 2010

Hi everyone!

I was looking up some info on gardening here on the gardenweb & just happened to notice there is a section for knitting & crocheting! Hoorah! I am a complete newbie at knitting & crocheting (my daughter wants to learn tatting over summer as well) so this is exciting! Can anyone share any beginner patterns with me (especially knitting - I have learned to cast on, knit, purl, yarn over, knit 2 together & cast off so far-just very basic stuff)? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Well tumblingtomatoes--

Learn to increase and decrease and you will know 3/4 of what there is to learn about knitting. It's the combinations of these things that make a pattern. The more combinations the harder the pattern.

I suggest you browse through the yarn companies websites--Pattons, Bernat, Red Heart, and Lion Brand.
They have patterns that are printable and graded easy, medium and expert.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 5:16PM
jjknitter

Love your screen name!!
This site has knitting instructions that will be useful--
http://www.craftown.com/knitlesson.htm
If you do a search www.google.com on search line type in
whatever you want and list will come up and just click on
what you need. There are videos showing how to do different stitches/techniques.
Hope this will get you started and good luck.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 5:40PM
socks

Check out ravelry.com. Even though this is a wonderful forum here, Ravelry is even more active. Joining is free.

As oilpainter said, Lion Brand is a good place to go for patterns. They are free (you might have to join there too). There is one scarf pattern called the The Road Scarf which would be a good practice project as it incorporates 4 different pattern stitches and you learn how to do a border to keep the scarf from rolling.

Good luck, have fun!

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 9:08AM
tumblingtomatoes

Thanks so much! I am going to check out those sites now!

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 9:43AM
Vickey__MN

There is another WONDERFUL site to help with knitting questions: It's called (appropiratly) Knittinghelp.

Vickey-MN

Here is a link that might be useful: knitting help

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:08PM
posieh

At a Church Rummage sale today I found a "Magic Loom". Too late I noticed that the box included no instructions. It has three different sized square metal looms and is suppose to make crocheted Granny Squares. I always seem to need instructions to do some of these things. I did a Google and a Ask search but found no help. There is no name of the company that made these on the box. I'm looking for help in finding instructions. Would appreciate any help. Thanks..

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 8:20PM
razorbackfan

I also highly recommend Lion Brand. They send a weekly e-mail newsletter that always includes at least 4 patterns (usually 2 knit, 2 crochet), and their website has lots of patterns--many of those have been reviewed by people who have knitted them.

One other tip--and you probably already know this, but . . . I have learned several knitting stitches by studying videos that have been posted on YouTube. My favorite ones are by "knitwitch." Her instructions are clear, and she uses good contrasting yarn & background so you can really see the specific steps to the stitches. The best part about it is that I can pause the video whenever I want and watch it over, and over, and over until I get the stitch right!

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 9:06PM
gemini40

If you go to youtube and type in knitting lessons..they have some nice videos to help you learn the different stitches. I learned howe to continental knitting from their website. Check it out.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 1:33PM
tami_ohio

Posieh, I did a google search for "magic loom instructions", using the quotes, and had several hits for instructions. I hope that will help.

Tumblingtomatoes, welcome to the forum! A good way to learn new stitch patterns is to make dishcloths. It's a small project to learn on, but you will learn to do that stitch, and if you don't like it, you are not committed to a larger project. And dishcloths make great gifts! Use a kitchen cotton, like Lion Brand, or Peaches and Cream, or Bernat's kitchen cotton. They wash great, and clean great!

Tami

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
sesame street patterns
Hi knitters, This is my first post. I hope someone...
iambusyknitting
Need Musical Notes/Instruments Afghan ideas...
I am thinking ahead to October. My daughter's boyfriend...
profsusan
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
Sponsored Products
Lite Source Kolina Floor Lamp with LED Reading Light - LS-82374
$116.00 | Hayneedle
Brielle Jersey Knit Cotton Sheet Set or Pillowcase Separates
Overstock.com
Lime Natali Grommet-Top Curtain Panel - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
Classic Memory Foam Contour Pillow
Grandin Road
Anchorage Mocha Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
Bellacor