light teal gender neutral?

socksJune 28, 2008

I want to make a baby blanket for a neighbor who is having a baby; they don't want to know if it's a boy or a girl. I have some Red Heart Soft Baby yarn which is light teal. It's kind of a pale turquoise/aqua speckled yarn. Would this be gender neutral, or is it leaning towards "boy?"

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

No, I think of it as gender neutral. I usually use yellow or baby mint or white when I don't know.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 2:34PM
socks

Well, I use green or yellow too, but I happen to have the light teal and would like to deplete my stash a little rather than buy more. Thanks, Sheila.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 6:04PM
donna_loomis

Susan, I think the light teal will be fine.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 1:19AM
sheilajoyce_gw

I am with you, Socks. I am trying to reduce the stash I have made up of my skeins and what I inherited from my sister and a friend because I ran out of storage space. So I have been knitting up a storm just to use up what colors I have. The Baby Surprise Jackets use up all sorts of color odds and ends. I have used up a few variegated colors I stashed for years unable to find a pattern that I liked for them, but they made nice BSJs. We have new babies being planned for the next year or so, and I have a head start on possible gifts this way. The trouble with BSJs is that I really don't know how well I like the color combinations till it is done.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 1:14PM
profsusan

I think your soft teal will be fine.

I have also used the Baby Coordinates in soft turquoise and white for a set of twins - boy & girl. I did the round ripple and did smaller stripes for the girl with a scallop border and large stripes for the boy with a reverse single crochet border. The parents use them all the time since they are coordinated yet different. There was no concern that the colors were not appropriate for the boy.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 6:46AM
socks

Some people like to have a good collection of yarn, but what I have never seems to suit me so I buy something for the project I'm considering. And the stash never gets smaller, and sometimes it gets bigger.

My sister inherited a TREMENDOUS amount of yarn, and she gave me quite a few 6 oz. skeins of this teal, so that's why I want to use it up. She also gave me some other yarn that I'm not sure what to do with, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

I'll post a picture when I'm done.
Thanks again everyone.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 5:46PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Well, Socks, then you ought to make a sweater too and a hat and booties made of the yarn to really use it up.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
sesame Street Patterns
I have some charts of the characters. I saw some people...
clare1501
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
Sponsored Products
Requisite Gray Bold Stripe Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Origami Floor Lamp
| Dot & Bo
Access Lighting Vision Fluorescent Ceiling Wall Fixture 31028-BS/FST - 26.5W in.
$304.00 | Hayneedle
Gold Floor Lamp: 71 in. Oak and Gold 3 Column Torchiere with Glass Globe CVAOP04
Home Depot
Foscarini | Uto Floor / Pendant Light
YLiving.com
Safavieh Handmade Kerman Light Blue/ Ivory Gold Wool Rug (2'3 x 12')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™