What type of insulation do I need?

thebigadApril 19, 2012

I have a 60-yr old brick house with some loose-fill insulation in the attic (a few inches at most). I need to add some more insulation to bring it up to standard.

1. Would it be feasible for me to do this myself or should I get a pro?

2. Is it OK if I put unfaced rolls on top of the existing loose fill? Or should I put more loose fill on? Or do something else?

3. If I do unfaced rolls, does anyone have any recommendations on types, brands, or where to buy for the best price? If I have to do loose fill, do I have to lug the spraying machine into the attic or can is the hose long enough to spray all over?

4. Do I need to buy those plastic things that prevent the soffit vents from being covered up or is that unnecessary?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Where do you live?

    Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 7:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Blow it - the hose is plenty long.

You should buy those plastic things but you could just skip the last 12 inches or so - not ideal.

    Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 9:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I live in Atlanta.

    Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

better do your air sealing at attic floor to inside house first. recessed lights, bath fans stove vents etc.

any duct sealing should also be done prior to insulation
plenum to equipment connection, duct takeoff at plenum
and supply boxes to attic floor.
return caulked.

best of luck

    Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 11:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have not read where fiberglass batts cannot be installed over blown in insulation. However the general consensus is it is better to add more blown insulation than layering a batt. I would be concerned about the batt sagging if you laid it perpendicualar to the joists. If you laid the batt parrallel, then the layer may be uneven.

There are several Youtube videos showing blown in insulation installation. It is a messy job, but doable for the DIYer.

    Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 4:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

there is no problem with unfaced batts over blown.
to install batts over existing blown it would
need to be unfaced batts.
you may need to special order it from hd or lowes.

I'd go batts over cellulose anyday. not everyone
agrees, but the fine particles from cellulose
finds its way into your living space via
cracks between attic and living space.

you should invest in the air sealing first.
and duct sealing if your ducts are in the attic.
lots of humdity issues in our area.
you don't want to filter hot humid attic
air thru the insulation and into your home.
caulk and mastics are easy to work with.

best of luck

    Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 12:50PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gas wont come on. forced air gas fired furnance
the Furnace was starting then running a couple minutes...
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
Heat Pump in Northern Virginia
Does anyone have advice on which contractors may be...
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Sponsored Products
Mary Biscuit by Alessi
$63.00 | Lumens
Zuo 'Delfin' White Dining Chair (Set of 2)
Rite Lite 20 LED Light Tube System, 4 Tubes w/ 5 LEDs in Each LPL954W-AC
$17.48 | Home Depot
Somerset Polished Nickel Adjustable Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Chrome Wall Mounted Towel Ring
24" Prague Rectangular Tilting Mirror
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™