Rhinestones On Crocheted Leg Warmers?

moonwolf_gwJune 29, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm crocheting leg warmers for my nieces, sister and my cousin for future gift giving. I was talking to my cousin earlier and said about adding rhinestones to them. She liked that idea and I wanted to ask if it would work? The yarn is regular worsted weight. Not sure of the designs yet but I'll come up with something lol. When they get washed, could they just be turned inside out? The pattern I'm following I have used before and they're the easiest leg warmers I've ever made. The rhinestones I'll just glue on with "fabric tack glue" (what it was called in a video I saw).

To quote a popular cartoon (line from the theme song) from the 80's: I think these will look "truly, truly, truly outrageous!" lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tami_ohio

Brad, I would hand wash them, not machine wash them, and lay flat to dry. That is usually the washing instructions on any garment with rhinestones on them purchased from a store. Have fun. I bet they will love them!

Tami

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 7:29PM
moonwolf_gw

Thanks Tami!

I just finished the one pair today. Now I just need to go get the rhinestones.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 7:59PM
tami_ohio

You are welcome! You might try a swatch with the rhinestones before putting them on the finished leg warmers, let them dry on the swatch for a week or two, then wash them to make sure they will stay on. Just a thought. Have a good Fourth!

Tami

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 11:11PM
moonwolf_gw

That's a good idea! Thanks again! Have a good Fourth too! My cousin and sister really love the idea! They think my nieces will love them too!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 12:12AM
acraftylady

Next time if you can find rhinestones that have a hole in them you could string them all on and crochet them right in. I do this all the time with scarves and beads but you must string all you need on before you start. Mary

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 3:20PM
moonwolf_gw

Hi Mary,

I've seen the rhinestones with holes in them but they're too small for working with worsted weight yarn. I just might have to look for those next time I go to Michael's or AC Moore. I don't go there that often because they're a little far from me but I'll check them out for sure! Thank you, Mary!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 12:27AM
viksi

Hi moonwolf,

What brand are you using for your rhinestones? You might want to buy from this store where I get mine. I'm a fan of their weekly deals. I wait for their deals for discounted rhinestones. lol. Btw, the company is Crystals R Us.

-Viky

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron on Rhinestones

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Have you done this?
I knitted a sweater. It was with a yarn that was the...
barb_roselover_in
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™