changing socks to toe up

love2knitMay 12, 2009

I want to learn Magic loop toe up, 2 at a time. So far I've done dpns and 2 socks on 2 circs, but none toe up. Most patterns I like are top down. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vickey__MN

I've never done magic loop, but done toe up on two circs, and LOVE IT, the heal is kinda tricky right now (the wrap and turn confuses me a little).

Here's a tutorial:
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm

Then just google TOE UP sock pattern, it's really no different than 2 circular I'm told.

By the way, I LOVE the turkish cast on rather than the figure 8 cast on, but try them both.

There was a thread a while ago, and Makoshark had EXCELLENT suggestions for two at once on magic look (I can't get the hang of two at once, I think I'll have to take a class, I get huge tangles, and just want to throw the stuff)

Vickey-MN

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks two at once

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 7:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Vickey is right, magic loop and two circs are pretty much the same. The only real difference is that with magic loop you can't make the mistake of using the wrong "free" end and wind up with all the stitches on one of the circs. I also love the turkish cast on.

And I love knitting both socks at once. That way I don't have to count and remember to write down how many rows I did this or that on, because I just do it on the second sock right then and I know they are going to match.

I must admit the tangling isn't fun, but when you've finished a round, if you will remember to flip the needles toward you one time and away from you the next, and continue to do that, you will find you will get much less twisting and tangling.

Many patterns can be converted to toe-up with ease. Look at a photo of a sock that you like the pattern for and see if you still like how it looks going the opposite direction. If you like it, try it toe-up.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 8:22AM
More Discussions
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™