Marilee's Round Afghan - Anyone have the directions?

profsusanMay 6, 2006

I have heard about Marilee's Round Afghan and it had been a free pattern on the web but the site is no longer active. Does anyone have this pattern? A picture of a finished project? I would be interested in seeing a picture and the directions.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubbeskitchen

I don't know about that one specifically, but here is one to check out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Blanket

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 11:12PM
donna_loomis

I have several round afghan patterns. Were you looking for a knitted or crocheted one?

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 2:55AM
profsusan

Crochet, please - haven't mastered knitting yet. I have the round ripple (thanks to you Donna) but I was looking for something different. A few of the mothers-to-be are shopping for cribs and seem fascinated by the round ones so I thought I'd look for another pattern.

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 8:57AM
donna_loomis

I got a free pattern off the internet last year sometime. I can't remember the name of it, or I could run a search (I tried with crochet + round + afghan and couldn't find it). We're out of town for the weekend (yes, I still check this place when I'm not home). We'll be leaving for home in a few minutes and it will take several hours to get home. But when I do, I will look up the link for you and post it. I haven't made it yet, but it's very nice, with several textural changes - a row or two of popcorn stitches, etc.

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 7:25PM
profsusan

thanks Donna. I appreciate your efforts and look forward to the link. Also thought I could look at Christmas Tree Skirts and adapt something for the center hole.

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 7:40PM
Red_Confetti

Here are the instructions for Marilee's Round Afghan that WERE on the web, but link is now broken. Hoping you know what the picture looks like! Appears to be a 12-wedge pattern.

ROUND AFGHAN - DIRECTIONS

(A variation of a pattern originally put out by Columbia Minerva)

Materials : 12 3.5 oz skeins worsted weight (1 for each of 12 wedges) and at least 3 3.5 oz skeins for border

Hook : Size J

Adult Size : Start by chaining 101 loosely.

For Baby/Child size, chain 75.

First Wedge

Row 1 - SC in 2nd chain from hook, CH 1 , Skip 1 chain, SC in next CH, *CH 1, Skip next chain, SC in next CH* to end, ending with SC. CH1, turn.

Row 2 - *SC in space, CH1, SC in next space* to end, SC in turning CH ch 1, turn.

Row 3 - Repeat Row 2 to last 3 SCís (2 spaces) SL ST in next to last space. CH 1, turn.

Row 4 - Repeat Row 2.

Continue Repeating Rows 3 and 4, forming a triangle wedge, until your last repeat of Row 2 has only a SC in space and a SC in turning CH, Ch1, turn..

Wedges 2 - 12

Change colors for the next wedge, CH1, turn.

This row picks up stitches for the foundation row of the next wedge. SC in first space, CH1, SC in SL ST, CH 1, *SC in next space, CH1, SC in SL ST, CH 1* repeat to end (point of triangle) and SC in last ST, CH 1, turn.

Starting with Row 2, repeat the same as for Wedge 1.

Continue in pattern until all 12 wedges have been completed. End off.

Sew seam between 1st and 12th wedges.

Border

Beginning anywhere, attach yarn, and SC, CH 1, SC, CH1, around entire afghan border, join with slip stitch, CH1, DO NOT TURN.

Rows 2,3 - SC in SP, CH1, skip SC all around - join with slip stitch.

Row 4 - Increase every 5 stitches by doing 2 (SC, CH1) in one space. Join with slip stitch, CH1, do not turn.

Row 5 - 9 - Repeat Row 2.

Row 10 - Increase every 8 stitches.

Rows 11 -13 - Repeat Row 2.

Row 14 - Shell Stitch. Starting at first SP, SC, skip a SP, 5 DC in next SP, skip a SP, 5 DC in next SP around, join with slip stitch, end off.

Weave in all ends. Draw the small hole in center of the afghan tight by drawing yarn through each stitch and pulling tight - tie off - weave in ends.

=========================================================

And below is a link to one called "Round Baby Blanket," also in crochet. Pattern says it is actually a hexagon, but looks round.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Baby Blanket - Crocheted

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 8:55PM
donna_loomis

Susan, I found the link. On the way home tonight I remembered that it was called "Skipping Stones".

Here is a link that might be useful: Skipping Stones

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 12:08AM
profsusan

thanks for the detailed directions for the afghan - when it mentioned the Columbia Minerva pattern of color wedges, it triggered a memory and off to the attic I went. I have the original Columbia Minerva pattern for the 60" color wheel of 14 "wedges" - also 2 other patterns when the brochure was .35 - with these directions, I won't have to think about changing it for a baby

Thanks Donna for the link to Skipping Stones - this will require an adjustment since I don't want to use chunky yarn. I like the texture and may even do that in another color.

I'll let everyone know (see) how things work out when I get to these projects. Wanted to have the directions ready for when I get to them - it may not be until Fall.

Thanks again to everyone.

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 11:20AM
donna_loomis

Susan, I have several different round baby blanket patterns. I don't know how to send attachments with email through the forum, but if you send me an email (so I can see your email address) I can send some to you.

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 12:24PM
miranda_joy

I realize this was from several years ago. But today as I was searching for round and star afghans this appeared in my search. I was able to run across the Marilee's pattern I believe you were originally looking for. So I'm posting it today just in case someone in the future might also need it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051029054219/www.busy-fingers.com/marileeround.htm

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 3:34PM
Janey - formerly jane2

Many, many thanks Miranda!
Much appreciated!

I quite like the pictures of that afghan - now if I could only find the time!

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 10:22PM
maryrose58

http://users.jett.net/pata1/marileeround.htm that's the link to marilee's round afghan ... i'm there right now and the link is fine ... i've saved the pattern if you can't get to the link

Here is a link that might be useful: marilee's round afghan

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
looking for Annies Attic Dainty Dress Up Pattern
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get...
nursemom
sesame street patterns
Hi knitters, This is my first post. I hope someone...
iambusyknitting
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
Sponsored Products
Chantant Stainless Steel Six-Light Round Medium Flush Mount with Clear Heritage
Bellacor
Philip Gendreau 'Passenger Airplane on Runway' Stretched Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Smoky Square Vase
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Cambridge Chevron Silver Wool Rug (6' Round)
Overstock.com
Napoli Brushed Aluminum Two-Light Incandescent Wall Sconce with Satin White Glas
$382.50 | Bellacor
American Outdoor Grill 33820-TSL Single Access Door with Tank Tray - 20 x 14 Mul
$295.80 | Hayneedle
Classic Home Furniture - Daytona 42" Round Pub Table In Brown -...
Great Furniture Deal
LZF | Anfora Suspension Light - Medium
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™