Cotton sock yarn

damascusannieMay 28, 2008

It's time to knit golf socks again and I'm just curious--what are your favorite lightweight cotton sock yarns? Or other summer-type yarns for that matter. For instance, are the new bamboo, corn, etc yarns suitable for summer socks?

Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threejsmom

If you can tolerate some wool mixed with cotton, my favorites are Knitpicks Risata and Meilenweit's Cotton Stretch. They have a bit of elastic and are easy to knit. I tried Panda Cotton and found it splitty and too thick for me. It also wasn't very stretchy despite the added elastic. However, I intend to try Kertzer On your Toes Bamboo (available from Herrschners). The bamboo is supposed to be cooler. I just finished a pair with Kraemer's Saucon, a cotton acrylic mix. The socks are soft but the yarn felt a bit stringy and inelastic while knitting. If you don't mind thick socks, Cascade Fixation and Elann's Esprit are cotton and very stretchy.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 1:21PM
donna_loomis

The only lightweight cotton yarn I have used is Elann's Esprit. It is a lovely stretchy yarn, but I think it would make very uncomfortable socks. Not only thick, but the texture would make my feet hurt, I'm sure.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 1:58PM
damascusannie

I've been using Sockotta, which is a cotton/woo/nylon blend, so a bit of wool doesn't bother me. I like the idea of a yarn with a bit stretch. I've taken to knitting my own golf socks, because regular socks shift and I get creases which end up causing blisters. I want a tight-fitting sock that stays PUT! I don't want them too thick for summer, but the heavier yarns might make good winter socks for me.

Anniw

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 2:52PM
ct_iris

I just started a sock with TOFUtsies. It is 50% wool but has silk, cotton, and chitin - fiber from shrimp and crab shells! It's supposed to be antibacterial and so far seems like a nice comfortable yarn.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 1:26PM
damascusannie

I've seen TOFUtsie in catalogs, but haven't found it locally yet. I've always been intrigued by the shellfish content!

Annie

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 6:03PM
tami_ohio

I love the Socketta, and the tofutsie. I am working on brown sheep wool company's cotton for dh golf/sneaker socks (he doesn't golf!). It is seconds, but other than a bit of streaking, which I like. I am not having any problems with splitting or anything.

Tami

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Sponsored Products
Patch Magic Jolly Snowmen Toss Pillow 16 x 16-Inch
$43.00 | Bellacor
Atlanta Gray Table Lamp with White Burlap Shade
Lamps Plus
Duvet Cover Twill - Pink Mermaid
$149.00 | DiaNoche
Area Rug: Satterfield Walnut 5' 3" x 7' 5"
$99.00 | Home Depot
Old World Arbor Area Rug - 3' x 5'
$375.00 | FRONTGATE