denatured alcohol as a degreaser

lam702October 29, 2013

We're refacing our cabinets, and have seen so many differing instructions on how to prep and apply the psa veneers. We decided to contact the manufacturer, to get their advice. They recommend cleaning the frames with denatured alcohol before applying the veneers. So, I bought the d.alcohol but the more I read, the less I like the idea of it. It seems to be very toxic, it vaporizes quickly but the vapor is extremely flammable if exposed to any kind of spark. And it says that the vapors can spread very far from the original place you used it. Since I cannot take the cabinet boxes outside, I have to do this indoors but I am afraid of the vapors igniting if I use any kind of electrical appliance. Can anyone tell me if this stuff is safe to use indoors? I understand its purpose is to completely remove any grease, which is key for the veneers to stick. Can I substitute 90% isopropyl alcohol instead, as it seems to be less toxic? I actually use the isopropyl alcohol to clean my stove, its great at removing grease and oils. But I am not sure its right for this job. Also, I bought the "green" type of denatured alcohol, is this safer/better? I want to do the job right but I really hate to use such toxic and dangerous substances, especially indoors. .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen.ohio

You should not substitute isopropyl alcohol for denatured alcohol.

Since this comment is months later, you probably have figured out what to use for your cabinets. Our cabinet maker used denatured alcohol to remove tape residue.
Karen

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Ordered my cabinets in rustic beech
What I am wondering is why all the kitchen magazines...
ryseryse_2004
Soapstone in the Midwest/St. Louis area?
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for the past year,...
designsaavy
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
What wall oven under $2500 do you have and love?
What single wall oven <$2500 do you have and love?...
enzaenza
Sponsored Products
Real Flame 13-oz Gel Fuel (Pack of 12)
Overstock.com
Go Forth Conquer Soap & Lotion Set
$9.99 | zulily
Set of 4 First Aid Shot Glasses
Classic Hostess
Ravenscroft Distiller Martini Chiller - W0776
$28.99 | Hayneedle
Amplifier Cabernet Set Of Four Glasses
Classic Hostess
Glass/Window Cleaner
$5.99 | zulily
Nu-Flame Liquid Bio-ethanol Fireplace Fuel with Safety Valve (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Pronto 100CH Hand Steamer
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™