Trend Phobia! Marble?? Honed Granite?

KelinMDOctober 9, 2013

About to embark on a major renovation.
My post concerns the kitchen. It seems I have been subliminally influenced by design trends via HGTV/mass media without even knowing it. Everyone will laugh at how stupid this is going to sound. Last year I drew up my "perfect kitchen" plan and started to explore Houzz, GW, etc for other ideas. I quickly discovered that my white, flat panel, shaker cabinets with (genius!) honed black granite on the perimeter and (brace yourself) carrera marble island were not only not original, they had become downright trite. I almost cried when I opened houzz and the lights I wanted were their cover photo, a sure sign the trend has jumped the shark. One by one, the ideas I thought were my own were revealed to be the next big thing and were on their way to being pass�. (I'll get white quartzite so it wont etch!)
Now I am paralyzed with indecision. Is carrera marble the harvest gold of the millennia? Sure seems like it. I feel like I don't trust my own judgement anymore...do I really like it or just like it because I'm seeing it everywhere? I don't want to put in the exact.same.kitchen. as every single person renovating in 2013. I'm so confused that I really don't even know what I'm asking.
Do you feel this color/materials combo will look dated in a few years? How do you avoid "dated" and "trendy" simultaneously? This renovation is a huge investment of time and money for us and I am really worried about screwing it up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

If you haven't already, I suggest posting this on the "Discussions" side of Kitchens. This is the "Gallery" side that's more for finished kitchens and the like. The Discussions side of Kitchens is for on-topic discussions concerning kitchen remodels. You will most likely get many more responses over there.

Good luck!

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 5:28AM
More Discussions
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
It starts with the sink... Kohler Stages 33 or 45?
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just starting a kitchen...
ediblekitchen
Countertops for butlers pantry
We have a wall in pantry that will need countertops...
aktillery9
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Large cove moulding?
I am looking for large cove moulding. I can't find...
brodyt
Sponsored Products
Asli Arts 35-Inch Woven Hat Wind Chime - Set of 2 - WS261
$49.98 | Hayneedle
Dimond D1813 Avalon Clear Crystal Table Lamp - D1813
$310.00 | Hayneedle
'Live, Laugh, Love' Sign Set
$18.99 | zulily
Jazz Black Copper One-Light Mini Pendant with 7-Inch Amber Marble Glass Shade
$105.60 | Bellacor
Verona Boat Desk
| Italy Design