Replacing A/C heating system advice needed

mpp798April 11, 2012

We have a 2500 sq ft two story home in Austin that is 18 years old with the original A/C and heating units for the downstairs and upstairs. Since we are empty nesters we rarely use the upstairs and either keep the a/c off in the summer or set 6 degrees higher than the downstairs. (downstairs set at 80)

Our downstairs trane unit needs to be replaced and we have gotten some quotes. We have had no problems with the upstairs unit. Two contractors recommended replacing both units at the same time because of their age. One recommended trane and the other recommended lenox. The third contractor recommended only replacing the downstairs unit until the upstairs unit goes out.

We don't really know what is best. Is it usually cheaper to replace both at the same time instead of later paying for the other unit? Also, in googling I can't find any information about whether trane or lenox is the best.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

While you don't specify mdl numbers for either quote, I see no reason to replace the upstairs system particularly since the upstairs is rarely used and system has been thoroughly checked, in good working order, and has a reasonable service history without any major issues.

Yes, you should expect to get a better overall deal by purchasing two systems rather than one system. However, a significant difference-rarely.

Make certain you compare warranty differences and dealer has a good reputation in your community.

Just for info, I prefer Trane and sister company, Am Standard.

IMO
Good Luck!

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™