Refrig Shelf Life of an Opened Bag of Sauerkraut?

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7April 25, 2012

Any ideas? I am finding the time varies wildly on the web. I've had a bag in there for about a month and wonder if I should throw it out. Or, buy a pork roast today while out shopping. This cooler weather is making me want it again!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Sourkraut keeps forever.....nearly!
What's to go bad? it's already sour and fermented!
I would say unless it gets dried out, don't worry and keep until it's gone.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 9:51AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Well, some food safety sites say a week.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 10:01AM
lindac

There are many many sites that say that it'll keep 6 to 9 months or more as long as it's covered with brine.
I couldn't find one spot that said a week.

Think about it? what could happen? Go rancid? no fat! Botulism? Too acid? Salmonella? again too acedic, mold? Too acid.

Buy the pork and don't worry about it.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 10:57AM
grainlady_ks

I like to check the web site - StillTasty.com as a quick guideline for shelf life of foods and the link below might help you out. -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Still Tasty - sauerkraut

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 11:28AM
annie1992

I think it depends on the kind of sauerkraut. Homemade stuff will last nearly forever, it's truly fermented, we used to have a big crock in the basement and just take kraut out of it all winter as we wanted it.

The commercial stuff is different, though, I'm not sure it's even fermented, it's more pickled, or something. As the link Grainlady added shows, the refrigerated stuff lasts longer than the canned stuff, probably more preservatives!

I see the bagged refrigerated stuff is good for months, the canned stuff only days. I also know that the guidelines are very, very conservative, they do not say that the food is spoiled after that date, sometimes it's the quality that suffers although the food is still perfectly safe.

Would I eat it? Does it smell OK? Is it firm? If it smells bad, is moldy (duh) or is soft and mushy, I'd toss it. Otherwise I'd buy the pork! And yes, I know that not all food that looks good, feels good and tastes good is still OK, but those are all factors in the decision making process.

Annie

Annie

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 11:39AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Thank you everyone and grainlady, thank you especially for that link.
It is the opened, jarred (or canned - never at my house!), unrefrigerated kind that is 5-7 days. I have the bagged, refrigerated, opened and that will last 6 months. Since we eat approx. 2/3 cup or less a month, I'm glad it's a keeper!

I did buy pork loin halves today, bogo, and as I cut those in half, I now have 3 pork loins for the freezer and 1 in the refrigerator for tonight. And plenty of sauerkraut for each meal.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 2:00PM
cooksnsews

I'm reminded of the story Hubs tells about when he was young, single, and stupid... He opened a can of 'kraut for supper, and stored the leftovers in the fridge, in the same cheapo aluminum pot he warmed it in. The next day he had a cheapo aluminum sieve, and 'kraut juice all over the lower shelves of his fridge.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 12:51AM
sally2_gw

Oh, wow. That's some sauerkraut!

I've never seen bagged kraut.

I've kept the jarred kraut for weeks, and then eaten it. The problem is that the jars of kraut are so large it's hard to eat it all, even with a whole family eating it. Then, you don't want it day in and day out, so it sits in the fridge till the next time you decide to have hot dogs or whatever. I don't like the canned stuff as well, so what can you do. Does it freeze?

Sally

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Waterlogue app
Photo of vegetables for tonight's dinner run through...
bbstx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™