Crochet Swimsuit Pattern

alaskanrayApril 10, 2005

I am trying to find a swimsuit pattern that is NOT a bikini to crochet with instructions for larger sizes. I am currently about a women's size 24 and shrinking. If anyone here knows where I can lay my hands on such an animal, please let me know ASAP as my current suit is quickly growing on me and I will soon be out of it. The cost of a store bought suit is prohibitive for me so I really would like to find a way to crochet my own suits. Please help. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I searched for swimsuit patterns for you and did not come up with anything. Maybe others here will have something.

Alaskanray, being a somewhat modest person myself, it occurs to me to ask if yarn can be crocheted closely enough to provide the coverage I would want. I was thinking about sewing...do you sew? If you don't come up with anything crochet you could check that. But the yarn will cost something, so I was wondering if you could check stores like Penneys (who is always having a sale)or Target, and we have Ross and Marshall here which usually have pretty good prices.

Anyway...I know it's not much help. Good luck in your search for a swimsuit. Summer's comin'!

Bookmark   April 10, 2005 at 10:08PM
alaskanray

Yes, I do sew but not with a serger, which would be necessary for a swimsuit...and yes, crochet can be tight enough to give adequate coverage. I already have yarn and thread coming out of my ears so supplies are not a problem. The only thing I need is a decent pattern. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   April 10, 2005 at 11:35PM
socks

Well, I did find this one, but I have no idea if it is anything you would be interested in.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Swimsuit

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 10:08AM
dortycakes

Ebay has one for sell at a "buy it now" price of $1.99. I don't know what shipping is

Here is a link that might be useful: Crochet Swimsuit Pattern

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 12:13PM
socks

Good find, dortycakes! That's a nice pattern.

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 4:42PM
kateNC7

you don't have to have a serger to make swimsuits. I've made some on my regular machine which has a stretch stitch. Other seams were made with a zig zag stitch over elastic.
I found knit patterns that happened to have crochet patterns at the same site. I can't remember if they were all one or two piece suits. The other thing is I don't think they explained sizes very well. Sort of a S/M/L thing and that was it. I searched on google under knit bathing suits. Good luck.

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 1:23PM
socks

I wonder if a flat fell seam would be a good substitute for serging. It doesn't "give" much, but it's a sturdy seam which won't ravel or have raw edges to curl.

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 3:30PM
    Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
Sponsored Products
Conti 16" Wide Ceiling Light with Leon Floral Shade
Lamps Plus
Mailie Purple Crochet Pillow
$44.95 | Bellacor
Savannah Crochet Throw
$109.99 | Dot & Bo
Terzani | Virgins Six Light Chandelier
YLighting
Moooi | Crochet Tables
YLiving.com