Crocheting Socks

flynflowerApril 5, 2009

All the posts about knitting socks had me wanting to learn to knit socks. I love to knit, but I'm still a beginner at knitting and I am self taught. I still want to learn to knit socks, but I'm going through a medical crisis right now and don't have a lot of brain energy. lolol. So I though hey why not crochet them. I've been crocheting for over 30 years. So I found a book at AC Moore on Crocheted Socks by Janet Rehfeldt and Mary Jane Wood. It is GREAT! The socks are so cute and look knitted! I could not believe how finely crocheted they are and the stitches are so small , I love it! And the best part is , I ALREADY KNOW THE STITCHES! LOLOLOL

I'm using a new (to me anyway) yarn called Patons stretch socks. It is superfine lightweight blend of cotton, wool nylon and elastic. 50grams a skein . I'm using the multi green and it is so pretty! Anyway, I am crocheting socks and I love it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justlinda

My feet are always cold, but I bet these crocheted socks would fit the bill. They are ankle socks.

These look easy enough for people, like me, who are knitting-challenged. And the pattern is FREE.

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocheted Ankle Socks ~ Free Pattern

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 7:28PM
rmlanza

Yeah for you!! Let us know how they turn out!

How are you liking the Patons stretch? I started some knit socks with it, got about halfway through and stopped. I just didn't like that yarn very much. It was too stretchy, I couldn't tell if I was keeping my tension too tight or too loose. I love the regular Patons sock yarns, just couldn't get into that stretch stuff. Maybe I'll try again though.

Be sure to post pics of your socks when you're done!
Robin

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 10:06PM
profsusan

I also experimented with crocheted socks. Actually bought two books but Crochet Pattern Central has a good selection - depends on what you want them for. I actually made a pair of the clog socks, not for clogs but for in my winter boots since it called for Red Heart Super Saver/worsted weight. They worked well over the silk socks I have from Lands End.

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 10:55AM
socks

That's great flynflower! Sorry you are having health problems. It sure helps to have something fun to focus on, doesn't it? Take care.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 9:03AM
flynflower

I love the Paton stretch yarn and have no problem with keeping the tension while I'm crocheting. I am having a problem with the gusset in the sock pattern I am using. I just don't get it. I really wish that pattern authors would realize that people are not veteran sock makers and make their patterns clearer. I am using a pattern from the book called Crocheted Socks by Janet Rehfeldt and Mary Jane Wood. It is the first pattern called Easy does it.
I got as far as the cuff and heel and heel turn. The gusset is really throwing me . Doesn't make sense at all to me. No pictures , doesn't help at all. I went to Ravelry and asked for help, no help there either. Sigh.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™