Were we cheated? Is this real quartzite?

Joe100September 2, 2013

Hey all,

I found this forum when doing some searches about my question. Seems like there are some serious stone gurus around here.

About a year ago we moved into a new house. My wife was quite specific about the fact that she wanted a white kitchen, and so we ended up going for some beautiful white quartzite. It cost a pretty penny.

Fast forward a year later. We have a few spots which seem somewhat etched, the counter feels different in those spots. And today I noticed that that edge of the counter by the sink was actually disintegrating!

I have read that quartzite is supposed to be very strong. Is it possible that we got gypped? How would I test it?

I have attached a pic. A few are of the disintegrated spot, the other is of the etched area. Here is the full album http://imgur.com/a/pzQbQ

Thanks for any and all advice and ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

If you haven't already, I suggest posting this on the "Discussions" side of Kitchens. This is the "Gallery" side that's more for finished kitchens and the like. The Discussions side of Kitchens is for on-topic discussions concerning kitchen remodels - including questions about counter materials. You will most likely get many more responses over there.

Good luck!

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™