donate squares to afghans for the homeless?

sheilajoyce_gwApril 6, 2006

At Michael's, I picked up the description of afghan squares to make and donate to the store for stitching into afghans for the poor. Any design of worsted yarn in a 7" by 9" rectangle will do. I had some bright orange worsted that I decided to use up this way and knitted or crocheted 4 nice rectangles. Just have to sew in the ends. I knit one in cable, crocheted one in basket weave, crocheted another in sc and knit the last in alternating rows of clusters. Someone will have some bright, cheery rectangles in their afghan.

You drop them off at the store in the collection basket. They are also looking for people who would be willing to work the rectangles into the afghans.

So get out your worsted scraps and make a warm rectangle. Drop them off at your local participating yarn shop.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I have a stack of about 12 of those accumulated now and will take them to Michaels one day. It's nice brainless work to do between projects and helps get rid of yarn. I think it's through the Warm Up America program. The only hard thing about it is getting the width right.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 7:03PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Yes, I am going to try to block a couple of them to the exact measurement. Since I used acrylic Red Heart, not sure how well I can set the blocked measurement.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 2:51PM
socks

That's a good idea, blocking. Think I'll do that too. Just stretch it out to size, pin, then spray with water and let dry?

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Have you done this?
I knitted a sweater. It was with a yarn that was the...
barb_roselover_in
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
How to make a rattail?
I remember when I was real young, we would put some...
barb_roselover_in
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™