modernising old fashioned kitchen

keltoriaAugust 27, 2013

Hi, I have a good quality but out of fashion country kitchen cupboards, id say they were teak and were quite popular in the 80s/90s. I don't dislike them and cant afford to replace them so I'm getting new worktop and tiles but I just don't know what goes with it (I am rubbish at this kind of thing). I was thinking black tiles and worktop but wonder if this will look too modern and odd with the cupboards? Or maybe cream worktop and tiles ? I have black range cooker so will this look odd? I am also considering spray painting the cupboards cream and going for wood tops? I just don't know can anyone please help me

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RoRo67

Can you post a photo of the kichen? If the cabinets are in fact teak, it would be a shame to paint them. Teak is a very resilient wood, they make boats out of them! It can take more than its share of wear and tear, water, humidity, kids-just about anything. Most teak is a warm, mid range tone. Anything will go with it. If you keep the teak, putting a nice light granite top will go a long ways towards modernizing your kitchen. Replacing the floors and knobs will help, too, but without a photo or two, I am talking off the top of my head.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
marble bathroom counters in ladies room- real life
This marble counter is in the ladies' room basement...
scrappy25
What does it take to become a kitchen designer?
I know there were posts on the subject several years...
sjerin
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™