Replacing hot water tank for radiant heating system

jcanimalsApril 4, 2012

Currently, the condo I'm living in has an indoor closet w/ a combination hot water heater supplying hot water and the hydronic radiant heating system. I live in Seattle, so heat is needed for much of the year. The tank is an expensive Bradford White model that costs ~$2000, but the existing tank is leaking.

One plumber suggested a simple drop-in replacement. But this would still be quite expensive due to the price of the tank.

Another plumber suggested a tankless replacement. Normally it's an expensive upgrade, but since a traditional tank is so expensive anyways, the cost would be similar. Would such a system be appropriate for my situation? Also, I've seen hybrid models (w/ a small reserve tank as a buffer) -- are these worthwhile?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

I am trying to understand your system. Is this one combined unit, or do you have a separate domestic hot water tank which is heated indirectly?

If the hot water tank is separate, then why not replace it with a conventional hot water heater?

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caparo

I would think that a proper installation of an instantaneous hydronic heating & potable water boiler system would be substantially more expensive than a simple combi swap.

If the person recommending the tankless water heater is just going to install a regular tankless system that is not made for both space heating & potable water and is not going to modify the delivery system very much, then I would expect this system to have (potentially serious) delivery problems.

Tankless systems are generally superior to tanks, but if it's not a proper space heating + potable water system (In Vancouver you can't even buy one of these systems wholesale for less than $2000) I'd just go with the combi.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefits of a Tankless System

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™