Spring! Lotsa Hosta!

dcarch7April 27, 2013

So many of you are having a terrible winter. Here in New York Spring has arrived. While you are just getting seeds started, I am harvesting delicious tender hosta shoots.

Hosta is grown in Japan as a vegetable, it is considered a delicacy. It is probably the most amazing vegetable you can grow in your garden. It needs no sun, no fertilizer, no watering, no trimmimg and it is a decorative perennial that comes up every year before anything else. It will be many more weeks before you can have anything edible from your garden.

Hosta shoots are like asparagus and endive without the bitterness, very mild and tender.

dcarch

Hosta Tofu Soup

Deep Fried Pork Loin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chas045

I had already been thinking about your posts from last spring as my hosta came in for three weeks. I suppose mine are too old now? How do you harvest them? Do you slice off a section with a shovel so the clump survives for later decoration and next year's harvest, or do you take the whole thing, or somehow just cut tops??

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 8:18AM
Rusty

That looks so-o-oo-oo good!
Now my tummy is growling,
And I'll have to eat my lunch early!

Sure wish Host's (and/or asparagus) would grow here!

Rusty

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:50PM
Teresa_MN

Chas - looks like Dc snipped those hostas at the base and left the crown - for next year's crop of course! :-)

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 1:02PM
artsyshell

Didn't know hosta shoots were edible. Your meal looks wonderful!

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 1:19PM
mustangs81

No hostas here, but I can get some pork loin! Looks fabulous.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 1:40PM
sooz

We're too sunny and hot for hostas, but I sure do enjoy seeing your photos of them-as-food, Archie!

Smiles,
Sooz

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 4:51PM
dcarch7

Thanks everyone.

It is so satisfying to have fresh just-picked delicious greens so early in the spring with no work to grow them. It also makes cooking interesting with unusual ingredients.

Chas045, as Teresa said, the shoots are cut close to the roots, but not the roots. Interesting, the more you cut the more will grow for next year.

dcarch

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:04AM
cooperbailey

I remembered your post from last spring as well. So glad I could assure my horrified DH and a neighbor that hosta are edible and Bailey, one of our Golden Retrievers would be just fine.
Not so much the hosta! ( a little sour apple spray saved the rest)

This post was edited by cooperbailey on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 10:25

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:23AM
dcarch7

Cooperbailey, Hosta is enjoyed by many animals and insects, but early in the spring there are no insects.

Hosta gets very tough when the leaves mature. However, the flowers are edible.

dcarch.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:13AM
sally2_gw

I've been thinking of you, Dcarch, as the Hostas have been emerging here this spring. I don't have any here in Texas, but my OK house has some. I haven't harvested any yet. Maybe once we finally move up there I'll do so. Nice pics.

Sally

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:14AM
trailrunnerbiker

Gorgeous pics ! My hosta are all up and I forgot your post from last year. I have to wrap my head around the idea that they are edible :) Will see what happens when DH stir frys some. Thanks for posting . c

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:59AM
dcarch7

Sally, Trailrunner, as I said, hosta is used as a vegetable in Japan.

You can Google this for recipes: (LOL !)
ã®ãÂÂã¦ã· é£Â

Stir fry hosta is delicious and easy.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out the video

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:43PM
KatieC

I didn't know they were edible, either. Now I want some. There's a hosta in the yard at work....it's pretty big now, but I gotta see if there are any shoots. All I have for spring greens are little bitty lettuce, kale, chard and a few bunching onions that made it through winter.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:13PM
sally2_gw

Yes, I knew you liked to eat them, Dcarch, that's why I thought of you as I watched them emerge. I don't have enough up in Oklahoma to make a serving, much less part of a meal, and the only ones I see here in Texas are the ones we have for sale at the nursery I work at. I think I'd get in trouble if I harvested those. lol

I did not know, until you mentioned it in your original post, that they are used as vegetables in Japan. I'll have to ask Jerry if he ate any when he was stationed in Okinawa. He really got into the food there.

Sally

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:36AM
debrak_2008

My family tried some raw. Not bad but DD said it left an aftertaste for her.

Interesting idea. Thanks for posting it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 7:51AM
rosesinny

dcarch - thank you. I thought I knew everything and I just learned something today. I actually hate hostas in the garden - they end up crowding everything out with their raggy leaves that get eaten by slugs. But I would definitely cut them as shoots had I known I could eat them. My neighbor grows them and I'm checking first thing in the morning. If there is time, I'm cutting hers!

It's a great use for what is otherwise a useless and unattractive plant.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:22PM
debrak_2008

Rosesinny, I must say I love hostas. No issues with slugs and slow spreading. There are different varieties so maybe you need to try a new one (to grow, not eat), lol.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 6:55AM
dcarch7

Posted by katiec âÂÂI didn't know they were edible, either. Now I want some. ------------ All I have for spring greens are little bitty lettuce, kale, chard and a few bunching onions that made it through winter.âÂÂ
It makes me happy that there is a delicious vegetable which grows in the deep shade, a perennial requiring no care, and which comes up so early in the spring.

Sally, âÂÂI did not know, until you mentioned it in your original post, that they are used as vegetables in Japan. I'll have to ask Jerry if he ate any when he was stationed in Okinawa. He really got into the food there.âÂÂ

I was in Okinawa once. Interesting place. The people there live the longest.

Posted by debrak_2008 âÂÂMy family tried some raw. Not bad but DD said it left an aftertaste for her.--------âÂÂ

I suppose most vegetable will leave an after taste, if you taste it the first time.

Posted by rosesinny âÂÂ------ I actually hate hostas in the garden ------ with their raggy leaves that get eaten by slugs. ------âÂÂ

Yummy! Hostas with escargot! LOL!

dcarch

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™