New central air brand choices

mikef1April 8, 2011

We are thinking about adding C/A (probably two zones)to our 1960 split level. Heat is hot water baseboard. Location is the Jersey shore. Are there any brands to avoid or that are highly recommended. I'm getting the impression that there isn't a huge difference between the major brands and that installation, sizing etc. are more important than the specific hardware.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

Your are on the right track.

Go with the dealer that seems to know what they are doing.
Especially as you will need to add ducting and controls.

Contact your local electric utility company and find out if there are any rebate programs they offer. Some require you to use a "certified " dealer. Some might offer programs on Heat Pumps but not AC. Find out so you are aware of how this might factor into your design.

I would look at Heat Pumps, because as you now know., it is tricky with hot water to keep the house heated in the spring/fall when the days are warm and nights are cool (but not cold) My house has radiators, and we put in a heat pump last May. We love having the house warm in the spring/fall when it's cool, but by the time the radiators kick on and heat up the house, the night is over. Now we have the heat pump.

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 8:01PM
neohioheatpump

I agree with previous post 100%. Heatpump shouldn't cost much more than regular A/C. Heat pump heat is also comfy and efficient when not terribly cold. Ofcourse if your electricity is expensive heating with a heatpump isn't as much of a deal, but its certainly much cheaper (1/3 of the cost) than heating with straight electric.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 8:54AM
wisehvac

Julie and neo, I have no clue of what the hell your saying. You can control boiler temp with an outdoor reset. That ables you to control the water temp bassed on outdoor temp. When and if it is designed with a J-manual it only meets the max but loss 15% of the time, that would be the whole concept behind this outdoor reset. Radiant floor is the 2nd best form or heat next to steam when done right........
As far as the question is concered since you live by the dhore you will only get about 10 years out of a unit becuase of salt air....... You really can go with any unit I install everything from goodman to carrier....

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Maytag/Nordyne/Nortek HVAC
Wanted to share my HVAC experience. Hopefully save...
bgfuller
HVAC billing question
Question for the pros...... So I had a faulty capacitor...
spe720
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
Has anyone found solution to HVAV Dirty Sock Syndrome
Two years ago I had a Trane heat pump installed in...
idreos
Sponsored Products
Greek Key Storm Ava 5-Light Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Area Rug: Lyndhurst Assorted/Ivory 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
Splash Garden Statue - 1098
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Lyndhurst Black/Ivory 5 ft. 3
Home Depot
Eastwood Corner Chair - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture