Air Handler Won't Stay On

grasswhispererApril 16, 2012

Hi Folks -

I've got an air handler in the attic - "hydro air" unit for heat and AC. The unit is 10 years old. Robertshaw t-stat. Air handler is "First Co.".

Currently, when I turn the blower/fan on the t-stat to "on" (even if heat/cool setting is "off" - the fan would come on but then after a few minutes would turn off. After sliding fan back to "auto" for a few minutes (may 5-10 mins) - I would try again and the blower would come back on. Sometimes it would stay on, sometimes it would turn off again.

Now on a hot day in Mass. - I've got the AC on - an basically the same thing. I put t-stat to "cool" - and with fan on "auto", I click temp down until I hear it click to call for air. The blower comes on WITH condenser running (cool air) - but only for a few minutes when the fan STOPS but CONDENSER KEEPS RUNNING (because air temp is not satisfied). If I click temp up to cease the call for air and let it stand for a few minutes, and then click back down to call for AC again, it comes back on - but again only for a few minutes (i.e., the cycle repeats in failure...)

One thing I'm not sure of - I didn't really ever test it properly: when calling for heat, does the fan also konk out before heat temp reached. I don't recall having this fan issue when using heat - but it hasn't been cold in several weeks (we haven't used the heat...)

In short - all circuits seem to be calling/responding appropriately except FAN is not staying on when needed.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Brad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heatseeker

Faulty relay more than likely but not a diy job open your yellow pages and get a service tech then open your wallet.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™